What do you do when

your son/daughter screams at the top of there lungs in the middle of the store to throw a fit. My son has been doing this latey and it's driving me crazy!!! I have told him to stop or we are leaving then he just starts to yell" I want to be a good boy" I have exsplained to him why that is not exceptable, I don't know what to do, I feel embarrassed when he's screaming because he doesn't like the tooth paste or something little.

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 2:26 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I only gave the "or" once. Then I did the "or". In the middle of the store...shopping cart full...pick up the kid and walk out. Don't take them in public until they "get it". I always explained that people don't go shopping to listen to kids scream.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:27 PM on May. 29, 2009

• One reason he does it is to CAUSE embarrassment. If you react to what he does, he "wins". It doesn't matter if you react by giving him what he wants or by punishing him. He - the powerless little boy - has made the big strong mommy do something.

When mine acts up, I plop her in time out right there in the store. If she wants to kick and scream, I let her. I just stand there and ignore her. I don't threaten to go home (back to all of her toys), I don't plead or beg, I certainly don't bribe. Once she is calm, we continue with our shopping. I've actually had other people THANK me for taking charge.

I do consider just how tired she might be though. If she is exhausted or sick, I keep shopping to the bare minimum and I tell her exactly what we are going to get. I also make her ride in the seat for those trips, telling her it's so we will get done faster.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:26 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't know I work in a children's store, and when you have a mom ignoring their screaming child, its pretty annoying. Don't get me wrong as a mother i've ignored a tantrum or two but I think its politer to take your screaming child out of the environment so they're not upsetting the other shoppers, as well as the store staff thats forced to be polite and smile. I've been lucky my son has never had a huge tantrum in a store, but if he even starts i take him to the restroom and let him sit in timeout there...usually he calms right down and we go back to shopping, but if he's still having issues then I leave. I also take into consideration the time of day when he shops with me and I don't go out during what would be considered "nap time" or "dinner time" ever.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:07 PM on May. 29, 2009