how to get my 15mo old to stop nursing

i had a hard time to get my son to stop and now i feel like im drying up. im ready to stop nursing but she fights me. at nap time its easier on me cuz shell cry on me and cry herself 2 sleep...but its harder at night b/c her dad is home and his answer is "if u dont want her to do it u never should have started" he cant halde her crying. i dont like it either...but its not gonna hurt her to cry herself 2 sleep...i just wonder if theres an easier way....ive tried giving her whole milk...she doesnt like.

doodlemoore812

Asked by doodlemoore812 at 2:26 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• um. . . how many times a day does she nurse? It is easier to drop one nursing at a time than to stop all at once. For me, I dropped the naptime nursing first and substituted a couple stories and some rocking, then the morning nursing and exchanged it for a sippy of milk, and then the bedtime nursing and substituted stories and rocking. Seeing as your real problem is the bedtime nursing I'll give more detail.

I stopped at 18 months. It took a few weeks. Week one I timed how long I nursed. week two I a third shorter (from 15 min to 10) and then my son would sit on my lap facing away from me and we'd rock/cuddle and have a bedtime story. Week three went shorter (from 10 to 5) and then more cuddles and 2 stories. Week 4 was just cuddles and stories. . .I kept him facing away from me so the would try to "self serve" Now, a few stories, some rocking & cuddles, and lay him down drowsie with his blankie & giraffe. Good Luck
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:39 PM on May. 29, 2009

• STOP offering it to her. Give her a cup and nothing else. If she refuses then lay her down and let her cry. She will get over it and if you keep nursing her she wont stop. So if your ready put on the waiting it out panties and let her cry it our if she refuses milk. Try 2% milk if might taste better to her.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:28 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Make sure to heat the whole milk first. My youngest would not take it unless it was warm. Also when it is time for bed just wrap her up in a blanket so her hands are trapped and she can't grab at you. The cuddle and sing to her until she falls asleep. I just went through this with my 16 month old. After a couple of nights he learned to fall asleep without nursing.
    Also when you put he into her crib make sure you loosen the blankets around her arms so that she can move around and so she won't smother.
    Good Luck, I know it will be hard for a few days, but if you are ready to wean now it is easier to do it now then in six months.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:31 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Is that the only two times she is nursing? If you can get dad on board, I would say to just cut the nighttime feeding for a week or two first and then cut the nap feeding. Can dad start putting her down at night? That's what we did and it really helped. Maybe you should leave the house a little before bed so she thinks your not even home. Then give her some milk and warm it up. You could even put a little honey in it to make it more appealing. Have dad rock her and drink the milk or whatever you usually do. Then put her down. For the nap feeding I would feed her lunch before hand and try to give her things she really likes so she is extra full before nap. Maybe even do the warm milk and honey thing then too. Warm milk is supposed to help induce sleep too. Maybe by getting her fuller at lunch she won't be wanting to nurse as much. Good Luck!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 2:59 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and I am guessing that you have a baby human.
    The World Health Organization (unlike American doctors, uninfluenced by the dairy and formula industries) recommend breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Offer her a sippy cup with water, a variety of nutricious foods, and the nutrition that your body provides for just a few more weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:34 PM on May. 29, 2009

• What rkoloms said. If your kid isn't ready to stop nursing then you should keep nursing. Kids are really very smart about this stuff and often know what's best for them. He/she should be getting mother's milk for another few months anyway. If they want to wean there's nothing much you can do about it (forcing a kid to nurse rarely works) but trying to substitute a healthy food for an unhealthy one is not great parenting.

My kid weaned when he chose to and I've never had to push him to eat because he knows what makes him feel best. Once in a blue moon he'll ask for candy or cookies but usually he'll ask for fruit if he wants something sweet and when he does have cookies he prefers plainer ones like animal crackers or Ritz.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:43 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i use a pacifir and got my lil one down to one feeding ,she doesnt eat til around 5am or so.she may still need to suck to comfort herself,my li one also started to scratch my arm to help her fall asleep now im trying to break that habbit.good luck
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:54 AM on May. 30, 2009