What to do with a Great Dane?

My brother is in Guam for the next 6 months (Air Force) and has my dad watching his 8 month old Great Dane, but my dad needs someone else to take him because he has another old dog and 4 cats he deals with daily. I just moved into a friend's rental and could keep the dog here, except I would need him confined whenever I'm gone. I don't think a cage would work for this HUGE dog. He doesn't jump over stuff so I'm thinking one of those pens would work, has anyone used those? Or should I just find the biggest cage I can? I won't keep him in my garage (I'm in SW FL) but I could put him out on the porch with a fan on if absolutely needed, but I'm afraid he could get through the screen and our yard is not fenced. Anyone have any advice?!

DreaKevAiyana

Asked by DreaKevAiyana at 2:27 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Pets

• oh man I'd take him.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:31 PM on May. 29, 2009

• They have cages for dogs that big which would work or you could get an outdoor kennel and put it up for him in a shady area. Have you thought about hiring a dog walker or doggy daycare and having your brother pay for it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:33 PM on May. 29, 2009

• What do you do with a great Dane? RIDE IT LIKE A HORSE !!!! Lol but as far as where to keep him if you kitchen allows it put up a baby gate.If you cant do that ( i live in swfl too and the wide open floor spaces are a pain) you can try your bathroom. They sell sheets of plexi glass at he home depot or lowes, get a piece that is as long as half of your door. The also sell super paste so you can stick the plexi to the door with out causing damage ( screw holes). If you put that up the beast cant scratch up the door, Just make sure he has toys and water and he will be good. Have fun and ride em cowgirl!!!

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 2:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• pagirl71 - you want him for 6 months...lol!
    brailynsmama08 - I think I'll head to some of the pet stores around here and check out the cages. Im usually only gone during the day for 5 hours so it's not like he'd be stuck in there ALL day long or anything, but he is still a puppy and likes to chew so I can't take a chance with my friend's furniture or my daughter's toys! The porch might be the best place for him, and my hubby thinks he could get some wood up along the bottom so Thor (the dog) can't get out easily. Thanks for the advice:)
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 2:44 PM on May. 29, 2009

• lostshel - HAHAHAHA!!! don't worry, my 2 1/2 year old already rides him, lol! it is possible to block off the kitchen, I'm just afraid he might eat the walls (I had a dog that did that once!) or get into the cabinets or....sheesh I don't know!! (can you tell I'm more of a cat person!). maybe I'll try keeping him in the kitchen at first and if needed get something else...
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 2:50 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I had a great dane, and when i worked i left him in my kitchen. Just make sure there is nothing on the stove, he will eat it off! Counter tops too. That dog is going to grow ALOT in 6 months! At 24 months my dane was 185 pounds. I did come home for lunch to let him go potty outside though. If he gets too bored he may start to chew up your things. Especially since he's a puppy. Mine chewed up every railing on my deck! Good luck!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:24 PM on May. 29, 2009

• forevermom75 - lol, chewing! and eating! that's what I was afraid of! My mom lives literally right down the street so maybe I can get her to come by after a couple of hours and take him out, but she's got my 2 cats at her house right now so....! I'll have to get him a few Kong toys, I remember those from my Rottie (she LOVED chewing everything!)
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 3:28 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i cleaned homes and one of them had a 1 year old great dane (i loved that house because those dogs are my fav) and they caged her and she did just fine but i can just imagine what that cage cost!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:32 PM on May. 29, 2009

• CHARGE THE NEIGHBOOR HOOD KIDS A DOLLAR A RIDE ! LOL :)

MIMI_3

Answer by MIMI_3 at 4:21 PM on May. 29, 2009

• They have the big cages for them. My MIL has 2 great danes and they go in the cage at night and when they are not home and they do fine.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:22 PM on May. 29, 2009