Teachers by their first name?

Does your childs school have the kids call thier teachers by their first name, or Mr and Miss/es?

Do you think it makes a difference as to what name /title a teacher uses? In my sons high school there are younger teachers, maybe only 10 years or so older than him, should he address them as Mr/ Miss as well?

I ask this because in my sisters school district, at the elementry and middle school, they have the students call the teachers by their first name.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• ALL teachers must be called Mr, Mrs, or Ms and it doesn't matter what age the teacher is or what age the students are. It is a matter of respect. Teachers are there to teach and not to be friends with the students. My senior year of high school I had a math teacher that was 5 years older than me and we still called him Mr. There was no other choice. I still see him once in a while and have to stop myself from calling him Mr. because we now have mutual friends and it is just weird to do so.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:35 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Addressing a teacher by Mr/Mrs/Miss is a sign of respect. Using first names is too familiar. Its only done for family and friends here. Children are not equal to adults and should show manners in how they speak to them.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:30 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I am 42 and was raised to think that to call any adult by their first name was very disrespectful. Even I call my childs teacher Mrs. So and So or Sister So and So, just a childhood habbit I cannot break. I have raised my kids that way too. Some of my oldest DD's friends call me Mom and I am ok with that.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:32 PM on May. 29, 2009

• In our school district it is clearly addressed in the handbook. All staff members from principal to custodial staff will be address as Mr/Mirs/Miss and their surname. Most of the HS teachers extend that same courtesy to the kids but it is not required.
    Personally, teachers deserved respect. Beginning with addressing them properly. They are teachers or administrators...not their friends.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:32 PM on May. 29, 2009

• we address them by mr/ms.. and their last name mostly...

some teachers prefer to be called " miss amy" using their first name but alos miss...

=
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:37 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Teachers are addressed as Mr./Mrs./Miss here. When I was in school the only time we didn't call someone by Mr. was when he had graduated from our school and was doing his student teaching, then we called him Coach and his first name, we had several guys do their student teaching who had gone to school there.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:47 PM on May. 29, 2009

• It is Mr. Ms. or Mrs. at our public school. But it is New England at that is how they do it here.
    I like the children to call me Chaya, some do some do not..
    ChayaofNorfolk

Answer by ChayaofNorfolk at 3:03 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think they should address as Mr. and Mrs. becuase it's respect. You slack on the respect and the behavior will follow. I know it's a small thing, but it all adds up. Even at the day care, it's Mr. or Mrs. First Name. (last names can be harder for kids to say depending ont he persons name)
    Anonymous

• My 12 y/o sister goes to a very progressive charter school and all the teachers are addressed as "Teacher Lisa" "Teacher Tom" "Maestra Maria" (the Spanish teacher) etc. She has gone to this school since kindergarten & it's the only way she's done it. Unless, such as in my sisters case, that is the school policy I think it's inappropriate to call teachers by anything other than Mrs, Mr, Miss, etc especially due to an age difference between teacher & student. I would prefer very clear boundaries, especially with so many creeps befriending thier students to seduce them.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 3:21 PM on May. 29, 2009

• As a teacher- I can tell you, that if you lax in your rules, dress or in regards of respect... it will not be long before the student behavior follows. There are many teachers that think they are "cooler" if they are not called Mr./Mrs./Ms. but really- your job isn't to be cool and students do not respect you more for it.

I do allow my students to call me Mrs. "W"- many like this... but always MRS.

I also make certain to return the respect... I rarely call my students by their first names- mostly Mr. so and so- or Miss whatever. I find that I get more from them- they are more attuned to me and know that I am in work mode... first names are for recess and chill time. :0)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 3:46 PM on May. 29, 2009