Giving Birth!!!!

How many moms had birth while there child or childern was in the hospital room with them? Was it a problem or not?

My2ButterFlys

Asked by My2ButterFlys at 2:35 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't believe most hospitals allow minors to be in the room for the birth.

I am planning a homebirth for my next baby .When the time comes, I will explain to DD what is going to happen, the noises mommy might make, etc. I will give her the choice to be there or not, and if she does choose to stay, I will also make sure she has the option to leave with Grandma if its too intense for her.

Good luck with your decision!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 3:03 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I had two late in life babies. My DD's were 12 and 15 and had NO desire to be in the room. Turns out I had to have a C-section with both because they were breach. This is all a matter of personal belief. I don't really think it is developmentally appropriate for young children to be in the room. They are not old enough to understand that you are in pain but it is ok. It can be upsetting. They are also not old enough to make this choice for themselves because they have no previous experinece to base it on. Don't get me wrong I am no stick in the mud, I believe child birth to be a natural and beautiful thing, noting to hide or be ashamed of, I just don't think children younger than maybe 13 are emotionally ready to handle this experience. But that is JMO
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:04 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My niece who was a minor was in the room with me when I had my son 10 years ago. As long as you are ok with it and the child isn't in the way I don't think it should be a problem.
    Anonymous

• My daughter came in immediately after the birth. Taegen was born at home, Becka was more then welcome to attend. She came and saw her sister immediately, and saw the placenta being birthed. She's 2. She was with me for labor too.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:15 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My dd was with me during labor but it was getting late and she had to leave. I'm not sure I would have wanted her there much longer than she was. She's very sensitve and I would hate for her to see me in pain. She was 2 at the time btw.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:17 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I was 15 when I attended a birth at a hospital (family friend... I babysat her toddler while she was in labor, in the same room)
    I just had a homebirth, and if the baby hadn't been born at 2am, my son was going to be with us, but he slept through the whole thing. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 1:00 AM on May. 30, 2009