How do you tell your kids abkout SEX?

jill427

Asked by jill427 at 2:40 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You tell them. Explain to them what it is, what to do if they are in that situation, how to use protection. Let them know what can happen if they have sex.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:40 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Honestly...Tell em, dont beat around the bush or lie! think about how young you were when you first asked about sex, thought about it, and how old you were when your friends told you anyway and how off base they were (if they were) you truly dont want your kid learning something so important from someone else!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:45 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Depends on their age. I had this one easy since I have a lot of kids the process of life was old news to them by the time we had THE TALK.When my son turned 13 I sat him down and first asked him if he had any questions, he had a few which I gave him straight up answers to. I told him I wasn't going to tell him not to have sex but he should wait. I put condoms in his stocking last year. Open is my policy so hopefully he doesn't make me Grandma at 34 like I did to my mom...

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 2:54 PM on May. 29, 2009

• This is in the the 13 to 17 section. I think all 13 yr old know what sex is...so you better start talking soon because Im afraid you r child already know what it is. Tell them you want to talk about sex with them and talk about respect and tell them about it and how to use protection and be open for questions. have conversation more than once when things come up in movies. use every opportunity to discuss the good and bad of how sex when you see it in the media or movies
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• This is part of a series of conversations that start practically at birth, by teaching your child the proper name for body parts and bodily functions. Always answer questions honestly and at their level, being careful to understand the answer; like the old joke about the little boy who asked his mom where he came from. She took a deep breath, and told him the whole process, in great detail. When she finished, she asked him if he had any questions. He said wow Mom, Timmy came from Cleveland.
    Anyway, keep an eye out for teachable moments: a pregnant relative, a neighbor with a litter of puppies, etc. In the tween years, the conversation moves to puberty (it is a hair-raising experience) and body changes. In the teen years, it's the condom and banana talk.
    If you are open with your kids, they will be open with you.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:22 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think if they are old enough to ask then they are old enough to hear an honest answer. If you have girls I HIGHLY recomend a book called Body Drama. I saw the author on GMA and we bought it. It covers everything from skid marks in your undies to periods and more.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:29 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Honestly and without freaking out. I have been talking to my almost 13 year old for about 5 or 6 years now. I answer whatever questions he has as best as I can and always make it appropriate to his age and what I know he will understand. He knows about protection, responsibility and respect. He knows that he should wait unitl he can handle all that sex entails and can be a father in case it happens. He also knows to NEVER believe a girl when she says she has birth control taken care of because some girls lie. I will always be open and honest, I would rather my son come to me and not take what he hears in the halls at school as truth.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:51 PM on May. 29, 2009

• we have always been very open and honest with our kids about sex and drugs, so it is easy for us. We talk to our teen boys (13 and 14) about once a week about either sex or drugs. Seems like they know more than I do about some it, but I try to keep well informed. It is very important to keep that line of communication open because if you dont talk to them about it, someone else will and you may not like what they are teaching your kids.
    llpalady

Answer by llpalady at 5:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2009