how to teach a child how to tie her shoes??

She is 4 years old, but where I live she has to know how to tie her shoe before they will let them go to kendergarden and cause of her birthday she will start school when she is 5. I started tring to teach her how to die her shoe, but I feel like I am confussing her lol. What is the best way to teach her how to die her shoe? Also are there any songs that we can sing together while tying her shoe to help her learn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• over, under, around and through, thats the way we tie our shoes is the little rhyme used in a lot of preschools, and you do the hand motion as you say the word.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I'll have to flashback to me as a kid since my son is only 13 m/o lol. I remember the bunny song! it taught to make bunny ears, having one run behind the other one, going around and jumping into the hole and voila lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:52 PM on May. 29, 2009

• put both shoes on her and say I will tie one while you tie the other. Y'all both do each step together. It make a few tries, but, she will get it. You both cross them, then, tuck one end through. Then pull them tight. Make one loop, wrap the other string around it. then poke the other loop through and pull. My son was taguht in a few minutes when he was 5. Right before school started.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:06 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My daughter figured it out just by watching.
    I am surprised that this would keep a child out of kindergarten; there are so many laceless styles of shoes, would this be acceptable?
    The elementary school that my daughter attended has shoe tying as part of the curriculum. There is a big ceremony in front of the whole school on shoe tying day, and the class ties their shoes in unison; the looks on the faces of the children are priceless.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:14 PM on May. 29, 2009

• That's crazy that they still have that requirement. Most shoes don't even have laces and none of my kids had shoes that tied in kindergarten (except my mid. dd who is in kindergarten now and just got shoes with laces a couple months ago).
    I guess none of my kids would have gone to kindergarten if they had that rule. My son just figured it out this past winter when he was 7. My 6yo still doesn't know how to tie her shoes and my 8yo can tie but not well. It's not a big deal since she has only had 1 pair of laced shoes since she was 3.
    For my son he just wasn't ready to learn until he was 7 and my 6yo doesn't have the fine motor skills to tie yet.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• No I was told that they had to know how to tie there shoes before school.
    Anonymous

• Wow I think thats crazy thats a requirement too, some kids may not be able to learn it BY 5. My son will be 4 in June and I haven't taught him yet, but I plan to the next time we buy him a pair of non-velcro shoes. I bought velcro last because I dont feel at 3 he needed to learn to tie them, but by this fall I plan to teach him :) I will use the cross, tuck under, pull tight, one loop, wrap around, pull through though...I hate the bunny way and never used it myself as a kid ha ha.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 6:28 PM on May. 29, 2009