Labor confusion! 35 weeks today!

I have been having contractions for the past 3 days. I woke up Wed with them exactly 10 min apart and went to the doc to be checked out, was checked and not dilated. He sent me home and told me to go to the hospital if they got to be 5 min apart for 2 hours. They stayed 10 min apart for the rest of the day. I woke up yesterday with them more painful and exactly 5 min apart so I went to Labor and Delivery and was monitored for about 4 hours. They told me I was dilated 1 cm right after I got there and that they were seeing the contractions exactly 5 min apart so they would give me something to stop them. They never got any closer or stronger so they sent me home and told me to drink and to come back when they get stronger, never gave anything to stop it. Today they are still 5 min apart have had a few about 4 min apart and a few have been breath takers. Anyone have any advice, don't want to go back to be sent right back home!

MonicaTackett

Asked by MonicaTackett at 2:46 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They should have gave you something to stop them. I was 31 wks and having contractions 5 min apart but they didnt hurt just my back did and i could feel pressure and they gave me a shot and sent me home with a few pills to stop me from going into labor. I would go back in this dosnt sound right.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:48 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Wait until you can no longer talk, walk or move during them. When your doing nothing but moaning and breathing then you know its real. Wait it out until they are exactly 3 minutes apart and lasting and getting stronger. Drink water an rest to see if they go away or slow down and if now start walking, cleaning and everything you can to help it along.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:49 PM on May. 29, 2009

• AWW...im sorry....WALK!!!!! WALK WALK...i almost cursed the person that kept screaming that at me and i know its aggrivating...but walk and sex WORK! lol...you can be in labor for weeks before having that baby...but contractions dont have to be EXACT incriments apart. But they will get closer and closer. My water never broke. The doc had to do it. I knew i was in labor because walking around my house, i started doubling over and couldnt do anything but hold my breath. Then it was back to normal. Unfortunately everyone is right, when its time you'll know the difference!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:50 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I was 35 weeks as of yesterday! I spent the night in the hospital Wednesday night. My contractions weren't regular at first, but then they started getting stronger. I wasn't dilated when I got there, but later on I was a "fingertip" to a 1. My contractions stopped so they sent me home. I'm not going back until I can't move from contractions! I don't want to be up there for another night and get sent home again! My doctor said I'm so close they won't stop labor if it happens again.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 3:24 PM on May. 29, 2009

• What you describe sounds like prodromal labor and its not unusual..it can last weeks. Since you are only 35 weeks i don't understand why posters are giving you advice on how to speed things up. Make sure that you are well hydrated and rest as much as you can, your body is preparing itself.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:24 PM on May. 29, 2009

• sounds like you're in early labor especially now this time you became dialated after your last spout of contractions. i'm surprised they didn't give you a shot to stop them. although, most doctors will say it's safe to deliver at 36 weeks, you're just 35 today...still too early. you need to drink A LOT OF WATER and I mean at least 3 liters a day and take a warm bath, relax with your feet up. Don't stress and don't do any house chores...take it easy until you're at least 37 weeks! good luck.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 3:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I wouldnt push it at all and I am surprised that they didnt send you home with anti-contraction meds!! I wouldnt go back until they are stronger & last longer. The time frame between isnt as important as the strength of them. As labor picks up, your contractions will last longer (like they may be 60 seconds now but will become 90 seconds later) and stronger
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:21 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Here's a great article about prodromal labor. http://www.childbirthsolutions.com/articles/birth/whatlabor/index.php

A good rule of thumb as to when to go in is 4-1-1. When your contractions are 4 minutes apart (from the start of one to the start of the next) and last 1 minute long for a period of 1 hour, it's a good time to go to L&D.

Hang in there and keep that baby a-cookin'!
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 4:39 PM on May. 29, 2009

• im not a doctor but it sounds to me like SLOOOOOOW LABOR coming. i was the same way contracting alot more than just braxton hicks since 37 weeks. baby was born 1 week late and i was in real labor for two days!!!! so i would adise you rest a while now... wait till you are closer to 38-40 weeks then get moving with walking, squats any thing you can do to make gravity work for you. keep up you know, and hopefully every thing will become alined right for things to go moving faster for you!! but be carefull now, i had a preterm labor scare too sex and off raoding bad combo!!! lol
    BillyKraftsMom

Answer by BillyKraftsMom at 4:57 PM on May. 29, 2009