Is my 13 month old son sleeping too much?

My son is 13 months old and has a strict nap/bedtime schedule. He sleeps at night from 7:30pm-7:30am and naps from 9a-11a and 1p-3p. All other moms I speak to say that their children do not sleep this much. Is this ok? or should I call the doctor. When he is awake, he is very happy and loves to eat. Also, he'll be starting daycare in about 3 weeks and their nap times are different (usually 12pm-3pm) how can I change this schedule to conform to theirs?

caroline123

Asked by caroline123 at 2:52 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• While he may sleep a bit more than usual at that age, sleep requirements vary. I wouldn't worry about it as long as he's doing well otherwise. (And is sounds like he is). My guess is that he's going to naturally give up the second nap soon. I'd start adjusting the nap schedule by simply pushing his morning nap later each day. He'll probably sleep longer with less need for the afternoon nap. I'd start now as he'll have enough to adjust to with day care without adding a major change in sleep schedule.
    Anonymous

• The one thing I've learned is mom's know what's best for their kids and everyone has an opinion so trust yourself. I think it's great you keep a good schedule for your child and I don't think it's too much sleep. I think some parents don't help their children sleep enough. I think you just need to start changing his time so it will fit in with day care. I had a hard time with that too because my son only went part time, but I got him on the same schedule as them and he adjusted (with a little attitude). Eventually he wouldn't need or want that second nap time so it should all work out.
    Anonymous

• OMG - I WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are extreme's on both ends of how much kids sleep - my son was the extreme on the other end - just be thankful mommy!! especially if he's happy and healthy! my son stopped taking his 2nd nap at 13 months and we were lucky at that age to get 1 nap of 30 mintues and most nights are 8 hours...!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• That sounds about right. My daughter is 18 months and she goes to bed around 8 and gets up at 8 then take a 2 to 3 hour name at noon. So I wouldn't worry about it. Every baby is different.
    mommy20507

Answer by mommy20507 at 5:14 PM on May. 29, 2009

• First off my first took to naps a day until he was two. Second, One thing I learned about daycare is that my kids, neither one, EVER slept there unless they were exhausted. Too much going on. Their are other kids and teacher walking around younger babies fussing... the of distractions is endless. Point being, I would not conform to their schedule. If he is happy with he one he is on then leave it alone. When he gets home from day care he may need a little cat nap until dinner time. The days he is at home he will catch up on his sleep. He may start taking longer morning naps and shorter afternoon because of the catching up. You'll just have to feel it out and go with the flow. I new routine will set itself up and things will go back to predictable for everyone
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my son is 13 month old and he just stated sleeping though the night and takeing naps though out the day and my son walking and has 5 teeth
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 8:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My son is 13 months too. Kodi wakes up around 730 am and plays until around 10am then he naps from about 10- 1130am. My hubby goes to work at 2, then Kodi sleeps from 3- about 430pm. After his bath he will play for a lil while and then its bed time, thats about 830pm. Hope this was helpful!
    bjones2552

Answer by bjones2552 at 8:40 PM on May. 29, 2009