Any ideas for simple dinnertime side dishes?

I love to cook, and I always spend time planning out the weeks' main dishes. However, (aside from basic vegetables, canned fruit, and bread) I am always at a loss for good side dishes.

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 2:52 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My crew likes noodles with a plain basic Alfredo sauce over it. Cook your noodles, then drain them into a strainer. You need to leave them there cuz in your pan take either some milk (whole, 2%, canned..) add either some stick margarine or real butter....melt the butter...add a bit of nutmeg...try and use the whole nutmeg and use the smallest hole grater you have...less then 1/4 t is fine....then you put your noodles back into it and add about 1/2 -1 cup of fresh grated parmesan to it. If you price it? Most of the time you can get a big chunk of it for cheaper then already shredded...although you will probably pay anywhere from $6-10 for the chunk, but a little goes a long way. And please (please, please) don't ever use the powdered stuff in the green can....try the fresh stuff once...you'll never go back.
    Good luck
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Corn on the Cob- yum.
    Anonymous

• I make mostly one pot/one dish meals. I have a few sides that like to make; send me a message if you would like any recipes:
    chick pea curry
    garlic mashed potatoes
    baked sweet potato or acorn squash "fries"
    black bean an couscous salad
    kale (loaded with iron and calcium) with sauteed apple and onion (beyond fabulous)
    spinach rice

Answer by rkoloms at 3:08 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I buy alot of those pasta's in a bag by lipton. And the flavor rice packets too. I buy the mixed vege's and a can of cheese soup (dont dilute it too much) and dump it on them. Frozen corn on the cob. Stove top stuffing is easy. Flavored instant potatoes. Cheese, and the baby reds are good. When i do real potatoes i dice them up and boil them in chicken stock and a diced onion! YUM! Just dont add too much liquid or they will become soup, not stewed potatoes. Frozen corn and some cream cheese with a little diced jalapeno and garlic salt is good. Just cook it down slow in a sauce pot. (till the cheese melts)
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:31 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Egg noodles in a beef or mushroom gravy is delicious and super easy. I like the Homestyle gravies that come in a jar. I also like to make rice and beans, baked potatoes. Oh, baked sweet potatoes . . before you bake the potatoes rub butter all over the outside and bake for about an hour . . longer if they're huge--add butter and cinnamon sugar. I also love roasted asparagus (cover in olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes, depending on how thick the stalks are. Also, I love to cut up bell peppers and roast them with a little olive oil.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:51 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Ziplock has steam bags and I love these because you can add any potato veggie even corn on the cobb and in minutes its fresh and healthy
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:29 PM on May. 29, 2009

• wheresthewayout.....I love those steam bags! You can make just about any veggie at all in there and they are ready really quickly. Very fresh and healthy and ready in a snap.

We also love stuffed bell peppers (stuffed with rice that has been mixed with spices and ground beef, as well as tomato sauce)....reminds me, I should totally make some of those really soon!
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 5:34 PM on May. 30, 2009

• cook some egg noodles, toss w/ butter, parm cheese s & p before serving. When making mashed potatoes, add cream cheese too. Try sweet potatoes instead of white - peel, cut and boil as you would normally but after you drain, add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. homemade macaroni & cheese or macaroni noodles w/ diced tomatoes, tomato juice, s & p and a little sugar.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 7:17 PM on May. 31, 2009