I know this is going to spark so tempers to flare, but i know a person in this situation and it personally doesn't bother me, but that could be because i know her (assistance question)

If there is a couple who both work right now and have 1 child and is pregnant with another. Both medicaid and chip programs have denied them for covering the pregnancy so they have to pay out of pocket. Anywyas id doesn't appear that they have the money to do so, so she is thinking about quiting work so they would qualify for it to pay for the pregnancy. I just told her that i guess i really couldn't say unless i was in the position what i would do. But i know i couldn't pay for a pregnancy out of pocket. So i dont think bad of her or anything.It isn't like they live off assistance. So is it really that awful of a thing like i know some people on here are going to think it is. The ones that think assistance should be done away with. And remarkes like well she shouldn' have gotten pregnant now should she wont do anygood because whats done is done, there is going to be a new baby. Those comments wont solve anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• She should quit and take care of the baby till it starts school and then go back to work.
    Anonymous

• anon, are you being serious or is that scarcasm. She only wants to guit long enough to have the baby then go back to work. She knows that they really need two incomes to support both of the kids well. And after her first she only took off 2 weeks maternity because she knew she had to work. So i don't think she couldnot work that long. But it it wan't scarcasm thanks for not thinking bad things.
    Anonymous

• Why can't she get medical through her job?
    Anonymous

• wow its a bummer she's gonna quit her job just so they can get the benefits, but if they can make it off one paycheck, I wish them luck! since they already applied and werent approved i dont know how long they have to wait till applying again. but I dont think they can do it right away (might vary by state?). i hate receiving "that letter" stating we arent approved. right now we are just trying to get my son on medicaid since he is no longer a newborn, but we dont qualify for it, so now we're waiting on a letter for "peachcare" which is georgia based, and a step above medicaid. weird how some people dont qualify for assistance yet are far from being able to pay out of pocket! why isnt healthcare free in this country damnit?! lol
    Anonymous

• or, through her husband's?
    Anonymous

• It isn't offered thorugh either of ther jobs. It use to be through hers, but the employer did away with it . I guess because of cost but i don't know about that
    Anonymous

• She should quit and take the assistance. She'll have access to medical care without worrying about paying for it. That will be good for her and the child.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:07 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think there needs to be SEVERE reform done to government assistance programs, but I do not think they need to be done away with. I am 21 and became pregnant (unplanned) just when I found out my dad's insurance no longer covered me. I applied for Medicaid and was accepted. My dad's work got new insurance however and under the new policy I am now covered until I am 24. So I thankfully didn't need to use Medicaid's help...I would have though. Some people need it, and as long as you continue to try and get back on your own 2 feet while using it, I see nothing wrong. Its those who apply for government assistance and then get the attiutude of they no longer need to do anything for themselves, is what I can't stand.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:09 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Like you said what's done is done...so she has to do what she has to do to take care of the baby. I think the problem is not the person, but the system...if there was more help available to WORKING people...then the system may not be so widely abused.
    Anonymous

• She could quit and go on assistance. Or, can she cut back her hours if they need two incomes? Also, it's fraud if you turn down a raise, job, etc. if you just do it to qualify. I doubt she'd get caught but just a FYI
    Anonymous