How important are dads?

Do you think its important for both boys and girls to have a dad in their life? If not a dad, then a male role model? Is it more important for boys than for girls?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 3:20 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have to disagree. I think that kids-no matter the sex-need both parents in their lives. Doesn't mean that the can't grow up normal without one or the other. But, I think that it is best to have both. For them to see the love of both parents.

My mom was a single parent for most of my childhood. And I can say that life might have been easier for my mom if my dad was around to help-hell-even pay child support.

I know that it was hard for my brother to grow up without a dad. I still see it to this day. I think it is sad.

I am glad that my boys have a mom and dad together and that they get to see a relationship that I didn't have when I was little. JMHO.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:28 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think so. Being a girl and growing up without a dad-I don't know what I missed out on-so I can't say. But I think that it is really important for boys to have a dad for a role model.
    Anonymous

• way to get the single moms all wound up.. lol

i say it doesnt matter either way.. dads raise little girls of dead beat moms everyday.. you dont turn out any better if you have two parents either the same sex or diff.. its HOW you are raise not WHO you were raised..

that my two cents mama..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:24 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think its very important.  Here are some facts:

http://www.photius.com/feminocracy/facts_on_fatherless_kids.html

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:30 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I would be lost without my dad.I can honestly say that i have been much closer with my dad then my mom. I love them both verry much but i would feel more hurt if i lost my dad. That sounds super bad but its true. I think that having both parents involved in the childs life is verry important. And its not more so for a boy or a girl. Everyone needs their parents not just one or the other.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:32 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Kids need both parents. I dont think one is more important than the other.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:35 PM on May. 29, 2009

• healthy non toxic parents I should say...
    mamakirs

• I think it's good for have both but I have also seen great kids being raised by single GREAT moms. I don't believe you need both to do the job. JMO.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 3:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree that kids can grow up great without a dad or without a mom or raised by grandparents, guardians, etc...all sorts of situations can raise a good kid, however, I think it is clearly best to have both parents.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:45 PM on May. 29, 2009

• As a single mom, I think dads play a very important role in the develoment of a child. But, if a father is not available, the child can still grow up to be happy and healthy. Does a child NEED a dad? No, but it does help.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:50 PM on May. 29, 2009