how much should a breastfed 10 day old be eating (drinking)?

My daughter is 10 days old and if I pump she eats 2-3 ounces per feeding. If I feed her straight from the breast, she will drink for about 10-15 minutes, sometimes less. Is that the right amount? Also, she will only latch on to the left breast but not the right, I think it's because the milk squirts out too fast from the right and she doesn't like that... That's just my theory. Does that sound right? Has that ever happened to anyone else?

shellrequen

Asked by shellrequen at 3:22 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try massaging your right breast before you feed her to get the first let down out. As for how long she eats if she is full and happy then she is getting enough. If she is still hungry and fussy then she isn't. The only way to tell is weigh her before and after each feeding. Try feeding her on the Right side first so she gets a good flow. You can do a warm compress also to ease the flow a little for her.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:25 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Yes. My DD is a really 'efficient eater' as they say and would drain a whole breast in a matter of 5-10 mins. even at 10 days old. I hear other babies go for a really long time, but she only did that in the hospital when she was bringing my milk in. Make sure you switch breasts cause otherwise you'll be lopsided and you don't want that. Put her in different positions on the breast she doesn't like cause she needs to nurse from both. Also, I never switched boobs during feedings that early. I fed her from one boob and then the next feeding, the other.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:32 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Don't worry about the volume, as long as your daughter has 6-8 wet diapers a day everything is fine.

As for the difference in breast, my son was the same just keep trying on both and eventually they give up this preference. As try expressing just prior to feeding to slow the flow.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:35 PM on May. 29, 2009

• im a one sider feeder too! lol. it drove me nuts at first that only one boob would go but as long as your baby is ending the meals on own, not forced to stop. its fine. they nurse OFTEN to make up for that. mine would nurse for an hour and a half almost every hour or two!!! so every baby is different. your baby will be shure to let you know if shes going hungry! dont stress babies gather most of their nutrients and meal with in the first five minutes. yeah, babies work HARD! lol
    BillyKraftsMom

Answer by BillyKraftsMom at 4:44 PM on May. 29, 2009