Ages on toys? Why are they so wrong!

I took my 3 1/2 yr old son in the toy store and he didnt want to have anything to do with the 3-5 yr old stuff. It did look kinda "baby-like" to me too. I understand the saftey issues with it, but it sucks when you have a bday party and people who dont have kids bring gifts that he will never play with. I tell them he is into transformers , star wars, guns, blasters...stuff like that. And they show up a pre-school toy that doesnt do anything but sit there. Ugggg....have you noticed this with your kids? Or do you make them play with the stuff for their age groups? My son calls them baby toys.

forevermom75

Asked by forevermom75 at 3:35 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need to make a decision about weather u think a toy is appropriate for ur own child. I go out of my DD's age group all the time but only after I have examined the toy & checked it out (she is also pass the toys recommended for her age). As far as ppl bringing toys that ur child dosent like at bday's just return them. Bring all the things u dont want back to the store(s) & let ur child pick out their own gifts. We had to do this at xmas time when we got several duplicates of the same toy (glow worm or a talking book anyone?) but I had a lot of fun having the extra cash at walmart to pick out some other toys that I wanted for her rather then those other ones. Just be careful about some of the older toys u pick out & check them over once in a whie to make sure they are all still intact & in good condition :)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:38 PM on May. 29, 2009

• well, no, I think it depends on the toy actually. My son was never one to put things in his mouth so...I mean we still watch him and athough he would love to play with his cousins Magnetix he is not allowed to. But, yeah, as he has gotten a little older now he definately is NOT into the 2 year old stuff anymore. He is more into remote control cars and stuff like that.
    Anonymous

• I get my kids toys they like, I have never gone by the whole age thing.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:32 PM on May. 29, 2009

• a lot of the toy recommendations are made because of the parts that makeup the toy. If the company has any inclination that certain pieces may be hazardous for certain age groups then they put the age on the box to cover their own butts. As far as the toys being labeled too young.. again that's usually just the co's way of protecting themselves and making sure they don't get sued for a 7 year old eating puzzle pieces. I don't go by ages, I go by what I know my kids can and can't do.. same for the kids I buy presents for.. I'll talk to the parents instead of going for the 'age appropriate' items at the store.
    If you were to look in local daycares and such, half their toys would be considered inappropriate for their age groups..
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:44 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i go by what my daughter likes..ive never gone by ages.i mean obviously more when she was a baby baby, but, now shes 5, and she can play with anything she wants..but y ive noticed that people, especially ppl that dont have kids, tend to stick with the specific age groups..my daughter also calls them baby toys..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:02 PM on May. 29, 2009