Is this really a good time to move to Cali? In need of advice.

My husband just got a job in Cali that pays $10,000 more than what he earns right now. We live in N.J and its pretty much expensive here. This job is a promotion from his current job at the same company but in California. If he takes it he will be bringing in 45,000 a year. We are a family of 4. Do you think it is worth making the move? I know in this economy its good to go where the money is, but at the same time im worried about the economic downfall in Cali. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• Oh NO!! Cali is going to hell in a handbasket. You couldn't pay ME enough to go there right now. NO WAY!!!
    Anonymous

• Well the raise would be needed to live there. Do you have the money for a move cross country? can you afford to pack up a truck, get a new apartment or home and still have the money to pay your bills. Are you living check to check now? If you have the money and he has a new place for you to live then why not, if not he should go ahead of you to get things set up and in order before you have to pay for a hotel and storage and all that
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:38 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I live in Cali, and we are barely surviving with a household of 4 and we make a lot less though. It really depends on where in California though. Taxes went up here as well. I think you need to look at the entire picture though. Do you like where you are? would your husband like the job here? all these things are to consider. Personally I like CA, but I also have family and friends etc. It is expensive though
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:40 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Hey.. I'm here in San Diego and if you are secure in your job and finances.. this is the BEST time to move here!! California has been so inflated that we were never able to move here until recently (18 months ago). We are capitalizing on the low housing prices. We bought a house for 190,000 which appraised at 465,000 only 3 years ago. So I say get in now while you can.. if you can.
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 3:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• brailynsmama08- Your last statement sounds more of what we might do. He will probably go ahead of us to find a place to live and me and the kids will go later.(if we decide to actually do this) His company will pay for moving expenses and we have a little money saved up to pay for the other expenses such as the apartment fees and such.
    Anonymous

• Hey scout575, thats where my husbands company is located, in San Diego. We will definilty look into moving there if he takes the job. Thanks.
    Anonymous

• 45k a year is not much in Cali. I personally would not move there. We left two months ago and moved to the Midwest. My husband made 120k a year and it was tight at time in Cali. We don't live extravagantly and stick to a budget. Rent, groceries, gas, taxes and everything else is high there. Their schools are just awful especially if you are a Conservative or Independent person. If you are Liberal you might appreciate it since they are Liberal training camps basically. They may not know how to read but will hate anything conservative. I would stay where you are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I'm in Calif, lived here all of my life. Yes, its getting expensive, but it depends on alot of variables where you are going to live. I started my home business to supplement my income from my insurance agency, but it is starting to look like I will be giving up the insurance agency to work my other business full time.

http://www.arnola.acnrep.com

Check this out and let me know if you would like more information by clicking on the more information tab on the website. We could get you started and then you would have some income here as well to help out while you stay home.

Welcome to Calif
    Residuals4U

Answer by Residuals4U at 1:35 AM on Jun. 1, 2009