• In the Spotlight:

How do I stop my daughter to slow down????

my daughter graduted last week from HS. She is 17. Very good, very strong. LAtely (senior year) she wants to go out with a group of friends (all of them nice girls) .. my problem every time she wants to go out, I have to give her money for movies or dinners. I ask her no to make sooo many plans, they tried to safe but still they need money. I have another 2 more boys (teenagers).. they do not ask for anything yet.. I am waiting for them to ask me for money... What do I do?? They are busy kids, sports and comunity service.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would tell her to get a job. My sister was a very good student her whole life but she has had a job since her freshman year of high school. My mom told us if we need money to do extra things with our friends or what have you, that we need to work for it. Just because she is a good kid doesn't mean you should hand her money every time she needs it. That is actually going to hurt her in the long run than help her. She needs to learn the value of money and know that she can't just have it handed to her every time she wants to go somewhere or do something. You should also set an example for your boys so they won't be doing the same thing when they are her age. Yepp...a job is what she needs.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:02 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I would tell her to get a job. When I was 15 I got my own job so I'd have my own money and so I wouldn't have to ask my mom for any.
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 4:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I thinks parents should pay for some of their kids things..i would maybe give so much for an allowance per week and tell her once that's gone that's it..it's fair for both of you..and if she doesn't like that, tell her to get a job
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 4:06 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I'd either give her an allowance (in excahnge for doing some chores around the house), and once she spends it, that's it, she'll have to wait until next week OR tell her to get a job. There is nothing wrong with children learning to work for their money, at some point, they have to learn they aren't entitled to it because they are teenagers.
    Anonymous

• exchange**
    Anonymous

• A job would be good.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 4:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Last year my 16 y.o DS started the 'can I go ..... 'and every time it was oh and can I have $20 so along with him working with DH sometimes we give him $25/ week and that is it. Of course on top of all his hockey expenses and clothing ect... It's amazing how quickly he went from $100/week little by little to making choices about what he did with his friends and how many free things they come up with when they don't have any money.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:49 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Why are you giving a $17 money? She is more than old enough to earn her own.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I do agree with most of the ladies on here. She is 17 and legal to get her own job. If she has time to go out, she has time to work.
    Sophieboo

Answer by Sophieboo at 6:07 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Tell her if she wants fun money to go earn it herself.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 6:36 PM on May. 29, 2009