My dog pants ALL THE TIME!!!! Is he okay?

Okay so I have two dogs, one is a normal sized pit/lab she is the sweetest dog, the other is a chocolate lab, he is a HUGE trouble maker and he seems (compared to my pit/lab) HUGE!!! He pants ALL THE TIME!!! He always has TONS of water, he drinks all the time, but since its hotter outside I make sure that he always has plenty of water... yet still he pants like crazy!!! He will be sleeping and he pants! Right now he is laying there panting and he is sleeping! I have the fan on him, thinking that maybe it will cool him off and he will stop panting, but its not helping! I guess you could say that he does have a thicker fur than my pit/lab... but is he okay? What can I do to help him?

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 4:09 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Pets

• It how animals expell heat from their bodies
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:25 PM on May. 29, 2009

• It sounds like he is overweight...if he is get a low calorie dog food and exercise him more....Their hearts have to work a lot harder when theyre fat...can you feel his ribs if you gently (not push) rub your hands along his sides?
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:40 PM on May. 29, 2009

• For every pound a dog is overweight it's like a human being 10 pounds overweight...so every pound counts.
    calliesmommie

• Dogs pant to regulate body temperature, as dogs have fewer swear glands than humans, and most of their sweat glands are located along the base of their feet. By panting, a dog can cool the mouth and tongue, along with blood which is circulated through the head, keeping body temperature at a safe and normal level. Although dogs pant to control escalating temperature, they cannot protect themselves against extreme heat, and pet owners should carefully monitor their animals during warm weather to prevent heatstroke. When dogs pant heavily during hot weather, it may be a sign of distress.
    Anonymous

• labs are absoultly known for drinking water
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 12:34 AM on May. 30, 2009

• To cool off your dog, wet his chest and feet with cold water, like from a hose. Hose him off or let him play in the sprinkler for awhile. Labs love to play in the water anyway so this shouldn't be hard. If it's clean water and if he gets thoroughly rinsed it will help quell his "doggy smell" as an additional bonus for you! If he is overweight put him on the diet food immediately, but work him up to heavy exercize gradually or he could keel over dead from overexertion or a heart attack! Panting is a dogs way of sweating but he shouldn't be panting that much or drooling excessively. Make sure he always has lots of clean, cold water to drink--dogs don't like lukewarm or dirty water.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 5:23 PM on May. 30, 2009