Is it abuse if a vegetarian forces their child not to eat meat?

As a vegetarian do you give your children a choice?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 4:10 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• NO ABUSE INVOLVED THERE, THEY ARE TEACHING THEIR KIDS HEALTHY EATING HABITS.

Answer by older at 4:12 PM on May. 29, 2009

• So a child doesn't necessarily need meat in their diet?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:12 PM on May. 29, 2009

• As a parent, you can set a standard of eating in YOUR HOME. Outside of the home, a parent should not be prohibiting a child from eating meat if that's what the child wants to eat. I am a meat-eater, and I will raise my daughter as a meat-eater too. But, if we're at a restaurant and she wants a salad instead of a burger, then that's her choice and I respect it. But if I'm cooking a meat dinner, I'm not going to prepare a separate meal for her. She can eat what I cook.

I hope I'm making sense!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:17 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think the kids should be given a choice at least. Meat gives nutrients kids need to grow, I feel by not allowing your kids meat you're starving their food exploratoin. My child doens't like meat and I don't force her to eat it but when i prepare it certain ways she loves the flavors! I also am curious... if's it not abuse to keep meat from you child, why is it abuse to teach a child right from wrong by spanking... or discliplining them?
    Anonymous

• No I do not consider it child abuse. However I don't necessarily agree with it. I don't see anything wrong with enforcing and teaching a child healthy eating habits, but I also believe that everyone should have a choice if they want to be a "meat-eater" or veggitarian. If your child is aware of and understands your reasoning for being a veggitarian but still wants to eat meat, I think that is his/her choice and it should be allowed. Only my opinion though.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:24 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I would say it's only abuse if the parent is not providing adequate well-balanced nurishment for the child. If the parent is making sure the child is being furnished with appropriate vegetarian alternatives then I see nothing wrong with it.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:32 PM on May. 29, 2009

• its not abuse, its your kid, but its something that will probably have to stay inside the household, if your kid chooses to eat meat then whatever, you can't push it on them. I was a vegetarian at my parents house, and they are CARNIVORES, meat with everything and my parents respected my decision, and did prepare me separate meals or I would just skip out on the meat. It s a bit different when its the opposite since it is quite a moral thing, but no matter what, they are going to choose when they go to a friends house.
    NikiRoo

Answer by NikiRoo at 4:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• No one NEEDS meat in their diet. There are plenty of alternatives. We are not vegetarians, but I know several children that are. Some of their parents are, and some are not. It is far from abuse. That is like stating that parents who give their child fast food should be charged with abuse. Not a great idea, but far from abuse. LOL
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 4:45 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Not any more than it is abuse to force a child to eat meat.

My 22 month old daughter and I are both vegan. Just as any parent sets standards and rules for their children, we are doing the same for ours. Isis is offered a wide variety of healthy vegan foods, she does not get meat or animal products, crappy boxed foods, soda, or any other unnecessary crap. When she is old enough to know what meat, milk, eggs etc are she will have our support to make her own decision. Just like when she's old enough to pick out her own clothes, decide what classes to take, what religion to follow, etc she will have my support to make those informed decisions. For now, I'm the mommy and she eats no meat.

She is healthy and very well cared for; and she is not abused by any means.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 4:58 PM on May. 29, 2009

• No, not abuse.
    It's absolutely healthy for a baby/toddler/child to not eat meat - and completely okay for a family to not give them meat.
    Would you expect a Jewish family to give their children un-cosher foods? No.
    The same go's for vegetarians.
    Anonymous