Removing lead

My one year old daughter tested high for lead today. We live in a very old house, some of the rooms have old paint and the wood floors are painted as well. We are going to go and buy a lead detector today, but what should we do if the floors are all lead? Should we sand them up and then vacuum ? Or would this make the pieces smaller and more easily ingested/inhaled ? Should we just carpet the floors - cover it up? Noone at the office told us anything we should do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Call your health dept. they may be able to point you in the right direction to handle this problem. Dont go it alone. I wouldn't recommend sanding bc of inhaling.
    Anonymous

• Lead removal generally must be done by a professional haz-mat company. Just sanding and vaccumng won't work - the vaccum will just fill the air with extra fine, lead dust. Call your health department and ask them what to do.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:45 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Absolutely do not sand those floors if they've got leaded paint. You'll just be inhaling the dust particles.

The county I live in has programs for people that own homes that contain lead...it's called GLO (Get the Lead Out). They hire their own professionals to come out and replace doors, windows, siding, and anything else that has tested positive.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:10 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Call the Health Dept and ask them. I believe a professional has to remove the lead paint. Do NOT just cover it up, the lead will still be there.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:54 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Our place is all lead paint too. We called up the state health dept who gave us tips. My BF dealed w/ this whole thing so I do not remember what he had to do I think he had to put primer or something on the lead paint one coat of it then top it off w/ latex paint to seal in the lead paint. When we called the state for tips they said that lead paint can get into her system just by the dust so I went nuts & cleaned down all her toys drove me crazy for a couple of weeks. My DD seems to be doing fine six months late & the whole outside of the house is all lead paint too that we have not painted! I hope you get it all figured out we are in the same boat as you!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:59 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i can not help you with the actual removal from your house, but i am an independent consultant for a health and wellness co. that has a product that can detox the body of heavy metals such as lead. It is very simple, safe to use. all natural product. message me if you are interested in learning more.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 11:10 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Depending on how high her levels were the doc may have already called the health department. If the doc didn't call then you can and they will give you lots of tips. My son's levels were high and we figured out it was from DH who did construction on old houses and nothing in our house so I can't help with the house. We just fed our son lots of naturally chelating foods to help get rid of the lead as quick as possible. i can't remember what they are but look up chelating foods on google and see what comes up. Good luck.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:04 PM on May. 30, 2009