If I have stopped breast feeding is my baby any less healthy??

I haven't been breastfeeding as much as I did at first. I have only been giving her 2 or 3 bottles of breastmilk and everything else is formula. Is my baby losing out?? I started breastfeeding in the hospital. She got her colostrum and am still giving her SOME breastmilk.

beachbabi0769

Asked by beachbabi0769 at 4:28 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i agree with the first poster,.its not the worst thing however breast IS best.is there a reason why you stopped? breastmilk delivers immunities to the baby,.so the chances of illness are less.im not trying to scare you into breastfeeding again just stating what i know.if your baby is young than i would suggest continueing,.its gets so much easier after the first few weeks. good luck.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 5:02 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well, breast IS best, so she is losing out on the immunities and such that breastmilk provides. It's not the WORST thing in the world though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:31 PM on May. 29, 2009

• no
    Anonymous

• No! I never breast fed my daughter and she's healthier than a lot of breastfed babies we know! Healthy weight, no illnesses, no learning curve! I don't think it matters either way
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:37 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Your baby is fine. They just say breast milk gives mothers' immunities to the baby. I couldn't breastfeed my daughter and she is perfectly healthy.
    Anonymous

• As long as you are feeding your baby . . . that's what counts.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:38 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Its up to you. I'm very pro-bf so take my advice with a grain of salt. Your going to loose your supply so if that doesn't bother you stick with FF. It's just very important to nurse as much as possible in the beginning to establish a supply. Also the first few weeks of bf is the hardest it gets sooo much easier and I never have to clean or prepare a bottle.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Yes she will be less healthy because breast milk is better for babies than formula. You might not notice any difference but I wonder if you'd feel guilty and wish you had continued breast feeding if she does get sick at all.
    Anonymous

• I tried supplementing with formula and my bfed baby won't take it! She knows the difference.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:55 PM on May. 29, 2009

• She will not be less healthy anon, that is just ridiculous. The scare tactic doesn't work, you lactivists need to get over it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:55 PM on May. 29, 2009