Why do fairskinned women get tans?

Or should I ask you personally and ask why do YOU get a tan. I know some of you are going to say "because you want to". Just want to know your reasoning.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 4:44 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Because the sun tans our skin.
    Anonymous

• Why do black women dye their hair blonde or get blond weave?
    Anonymous

• You mean in a booth? I don't.The only tan I get is from when I forget my sunblock!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:46 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't want to look like an albino. :-)
    Anonymous

• Anon :46 I was going to say something smart and rude but I'm going to tell you thanks for stopping by....
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:47 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Yes in a booth, not the sun.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:48 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think most people just feel that a little color looks good. Personally, i don't think people should worry so much about getting tans, there is a lot of done to your skin from doing so. Malignant Melanoma is deadly and is caused by tanning. I just hope during these summer seasons people are being smart and using some sort of sunblock, especially on the children.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 4:49 PM on May. 29, 2009

• No idea. My sister goes to a tanning booth 4-5 times a week. She looks like a potato now. Her skin is all leathery and gross looking, but she continues to go to the tanning salon.

I think naturally dark skin is beautiful, I think fake'n'bake skin is NASTY!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:50 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I am one of those tanning people who tan in the sun and in tanning beds. I am not really fair skinned though, I have medium skin I would say. Personally I do it because I think I look better tan than pale. It also helps with my acne and I think it makes me look thinner. I think most people look better with a little tan glow to their skin. The Snow White look is not my style.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:50 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well, I am tanning right now. I am going to Panama in July and I know we will be spending a lot of time at the beach. I want to gradually prepare my skin. I tan very easily, but I imagine the sun will be very intense there and I don't want my entire vacation to be ruined due to an awful sunburn. As for anon's comment, I understand what she was saying. You are saying why do fair skinned women want to darken their skin, so she asked you why dark skinned women want lighter hair. Really that question is no different than yours.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:51 PM on May. 29, 2009