How do you deal with too many kids toys

My kids have a ton of toys and I can not get them to part with them. How do you do it? Also whats the best way to clean walls that are coverd with god knows what on them. carpet with food stuck in it? Take care Leesa

Leekdyer

Asked by Leekdyer at 4:58 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I just sell them. do it when they are asleep or distracted. When your going throught the house cleaning just slowly pick them up and place in a designated area out of site and sell the min you get the chance. As for walls I LOVE that mr. clean magic eraser it is awsome. For the carpet I use Resolve that works also, but I've never tried it on food.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 5:01 PM on May. 29, 2009

• We periodically go through the toys and give them to needy children. My oldest know that there are families that don't have money for food, let alone toys. He was reluctant to give them up to begin with buy has grown to like choosing the toys to give away.
    Also whenever I clean if I find a toy that I know is broken or missing pieces I throw them away. MY kids don't even notice one toy at a time leaving.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:01 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I have one 8 yr old gs I have custody (since birth) and we have a toys-r-us 2,3 & 4 here... We are right now discussing yard saling off some of his toys... but a few we are saving as a pass it down item, so certain ones are being packed away until he has children of his own.
    But in the past bc he refused to give anything up, what I would do is while he was in school, I would go thru his toys and bag or box a bunch up. He never missed them. He also likes to keep his broken toys and again while in school I will go and throw those out and again he don't notice.
    It may be easier now for us bc he has his own pc now and is into the Ps2 thing so some of the toys may go this yr in a yard sale.
    As for the walls, I would use a mild soap or possibly a easer pad for tougher marks just becareful that it doesn't take the paint off.
    I don't have carpet in my house so that hasn't been an issue ... sorry..
    Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:10 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I go through stuff when they are at school. Chances are they don't remember half the crap they have unless they actually see it. If it's reusable I'll donate it, if not I toss it. Also we established that before Christmas they all have to choose 3 things they do not use anymore to give to donation to a local shelter. This way they also see that some kids are not as fortunate as they are to have a room full of toys they don't play with.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 10:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I send my son to a friends house for a couple of hours and clean out his toys. I take out garbage bags of broken toys, toys with missing parts and toys that he has outgrown. I either sell them or throw them out. I did keep his Legos, matchbox cars and Imaginext sets.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I go through them once every 6 months.. the ones they have out grown, or aren't used a lot.. I box up and either give to friends with younger kids.. salvation army.. or save them for a yard sale.

The ones I have left.. I make a place for.. I have a large basket under the end tables, that have toys in them.. with a sheet in front.. easy for the kids to get too in the living room.. but put away so guest don't see them when they stop over.

they also have a play room.. we have a large hope chest filled with toys... the bigger ones get their own area in the room with boxes to keep the peices in when not in use..

in her bedroom she has a roll out box under her toddler bed.. that is filled with toys. Some that are more decorative I keep out on her shelves. What remain.. go in her end table.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:19 PM on May. 29, 2009

• as for the walls.. magick eraser i heard works well.. if all else fails... sand down uneven surfaces.. and paint the walls.

as for the carpet.. call some carpet cleaners in.. if it won't come out.. you may have to replace the carpeting.. if you choose to go that route.. you may want to think about some laminate hard wood floors.. it's similar in price to carpeting.. and you can put down an area rug, that is a lot easier to clean.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:21 PM on May. 29, 2009

• For the stains on the walls, try those Magic Eraser (I think that's what they are called), I sure wish those had been invented when my children were younger!
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 1:59 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Thanks moms. Magic Eraser did work really well on the walls. I went through a ton of them. I moved into this apartment without it being painted first. Between my kids and the others that lived here first what a disaster. Carpet is just going to have to be replaced when we finally move out of here. Toys I am trying to do when they are not here. They are 3 and 5 and do not like to get rid of anything. Thanks for the help. Take care Leesa
    Leekdyer

Answer by Leekdyer at 2:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2009