Writing?

My 4 year old daughter LOVES to do school work. We have all kinds of those books you get at boarders that are suppose to help them learn adding and spelling. The problem is her writing is so poor and she gets so upset every time she tries and doesn't get it anywhere near right.
I started coming up with some tricks to help her with the numbers she has the hardest time with, but I'm wondering if anyone else has ideas? For example when it comes to the 2's. I have her put her finger on the line and trace the top of her finger then finish like she's making a Z. It worked wonders after only a few times she could make a 2 without using her other hand. I did the same thing with 3, I had her trace the tops of her pointer and second fingers, by the end of the line she could do 3's without them.

Any tips for 5 & 6????

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 5:06 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• can she understand making an upside down L...cause that would make the top part of the 5 and then her finger could help with the bottom part...i got nothing for the 6...i don't know if thats too complicated...my only other suggestion would be to get number stencils, which help teach the child the hand motions required to write numbers without allowing room for error...since the repetitive seems to work for her she might only need the stencils a couple times...
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• You can get write and wipe books that show how to make the letters. There's one to trace and blank lines for her to practice without the actually drawing to trace. I've found them at Target but I'm sure they have them lots of places.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:24 PM on May. 29, 2009

• With my kids we used books that had them trace a bunch of times and then try it themselves a bunch of times. You can also use other things like play-doh. Have her try to form a 5 with that instead.

I would also use a light colored marker (wellow or orange) to write things and let them choose a darker colored marker to trace my words with.

Just remember not to push too hard. One day she'll pick it up like she's known it all along!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:22 PM on May. 29, 2009

• If shes getting overly frustrated, try a new approach to teaching it be it a different style worksheet, using chalk instead of pencil, anything, and make it fun. If she still is very frustrated, do it in short periods each day but dont push her past her breaking point or she will be less willing to try. Worksheets that focus on 1 letter or 1 number at a time are best until they have it down, then you can move on to reviewing more then 1 a day, small words, etc. Look at www.first-school.ws
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 6:25 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Does she have difficulty holding the writing utensil correctly? If so, try using short, chunky, broken pieces of chalk, crayon, pencil. The short pieces are easier for little hands to hold correctly and with more control. Also, have her play with playdoh, clay, sand,etc. The squeezing, pulling, pinching, movements will help strengthen here fingers.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:18 AM on May. 30, 2009

• As a mother of a 4 & 8 year old and a teacher, I would suggest making up some fun little rhymes when learning a new number or letter. Sounds are fun as well. For the #5, I like to teach my daughter and students this: Over, down and around. You have to really exagerate the words and make it fun. These little sayings will stick in their heads and keep them motivated. As for the #6, I like to say: Start @ the top and curl around. Good luck! Also, I want to point out that for her age, don't expect her handwriting to be neat and tidy. Children really don't develop the dextarity and control until a few years later. It's best not to push her, but to teach her to have fun!
    MammaCat22

Answer by MammaCat22 at 10:11 AM on May. 30, 2009