• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my son to stop wetting the bed?

My son has been potty trained for maybe 2 months now. He goes at home without me prompting him too. Just yesterday he went on the "big" potty by himself when before then he was afraid of the big potty so he only wanted to go on the little potty. At night he use to wake me up to go potty, but now he doesn't, or maybe I'm so tired that I don't wake up. Its been maybe a week or 2 that he has been wetting the bed on and off. One time it was because he fell asleep before I had a chance to get him to pee. But a few nights ago he wet the bed and I even had him pee before he fell asleep! Any ideas? Is he just really tired and doesn't wake up? Or am I just so tired that he tries to wake me up and I don't? What can I do about it?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 5:15 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you find out let me know. My DD just turned 4 last month she has been potty trained since 19 months old, but she didn't stop peeing the bed when she was about 23 months old, but then started peeing the bed again when her sister was born 3 months before she turned 3 she is 4 now and her sister is almost 17 months old and she is still peeing the bed. I don't know what to do either. I tried stopping drinks at 6 having her pee before bed and bedtime is 8 and she is still peeing the bed so if you figure out what works let me know
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:23 PM on May. 29, 2009

• His body is just not ready for this. You need to be patient and try again for nighttime dryness in a 3 or 4 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:35 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i agree rkoloms,, parents need to wait for the child to be ready for potty ,, try using the nighttime diapers for a while so u dont have to buy new mattress.
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 6:12 PM on May. 29, 2009

• ok, well I waited until he seemed ready to potty train. He never has accidents during the day. I was using pullups but he kept on having dry diapers at night so I stopped. So, you think I should use pullups at night again?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:48 PM on May. 29, 2009

• btw my son will be 3 in October
    Precious333

• It's very normal for children to wet their beds until they are about 6 years old. I wouldn't put him in pull ups but if he comes to you and says he wet the bed tell him it's ok and HELP HIM change the bedding.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:40 PM on May. 29, 2009

• ok. He's still in our bed. I have a pad to put down that I guess I'll do every night.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:43 PM on May. 29, 2009

• He's still very very young, and a lot of kids don't even START general PTing until 3. If he'll do pullups at night without regressing during the day, that's what I would do. Then, every few months give it another go.

Don't stress, having a 3 yo daytime trained is a great accomplishment in itself.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:10 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my son is 8 and still wets the bed on a pretty regular basis
    2barnettkids

Answer by 2barnettkids at 10:19 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Bedwetting is a very common thing. Sometimes some kids have a harder time getting over this. I have an 7yr old that still wets the bed on occassion, my oldest did until he was 9 on and off. My 4yr old who wasn't even day potty trained until 2 months after his 3rd birthday still wets everyday. He was the hardest one, lol. It's just like with daytime training, you kind of have to just let them pick it up and go at their pace. There are things you can do to help it along like limiting drinks to close to bed time and have them use the toilet before they go to bed. That's what my pediatrician recommended. It helped with a couple of my kids.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 10:25 PM on May. 29, 2009