How do I teach my 4 yr old not to go up to strangers?

The thing is she isn't afraid of anything. She talks to anyone and goes up to anyone. I have never had a problem with leaving her with anoyone cause she goes to anyone. A friend of mine was watching her one day and her DD and mine were playing outside I guess some lady was walking up the street and my DD didn't know here and ran to her and gave her a hug. One time there was a van next door doing siding work my DD didn't know those men and started to run to them until I yelled at her to come in the yard. A UPS was next door one day and she started running to him. We went to wash clothes one day and she sat on a ladies lap there she didn't even know. A few minutes ago she seen a guy (older guy) outside and she started to run to him. I am scared something is going to happen if she doesn't stop doing that. How do I teach her not to do that everything I tried isn't working?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• We always taught our daughter not to talk to strangers unless she had permission from mommy or daddy. We taught her that if she is lost, she should first try to find a mom with kids, or someone in a uniform with a name tag.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 AM on May. 30, 2009

• First, remember that the vast majority of the people she meets are nice, friendly people. Not mass murders or child rapists. She is FORTY times more likely to die in the car with you driving than she is to be killed by some random person. So keep things in perspective.

Next, don't teach her to "not talk to strangers". If some guy was grabbing her and carrying her away, would you want her to ask me for help or to not say anything since I'm a stranger? Most strangers are helpful people. Teach her to NOT GO ANYWHERE with a stranger, not even if he says "your mom said it's OK". Role play what to do if she's lost in the store. Role play what she should do if someone walks up to her, carrying a leash, and asks her to help him look for his lost puppy. Teach her what to do if someone does try to grab her or touch her in a way she doesn't like. Teach her to scream, hit, kick, and run. Give her the tools to keep herself safe.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:44 PM on May. 29, 2009

• young
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 8:43 PM on May. 29, 2009

• young what GODSWK?
    Anonymous

• I agree with Kaycee.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 10:15 PM on May. 29, 2009