For mothers w/grade school kids: does anyone have ideas for keeping them busy all summer long? I always hear "I'm BORED"! :(

Summer fun ideas

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• HAHAHAHA thats what mine say 5 min after they get out of school. My two older dd's (6 and 8) go to a daycamp. They play all day and swim all day...once a week they go skating or bowling and here its fairly cheap, $50 a week for both of them. My 8 year old also volunteers at the Humane Society's animal shelter once a month. I like to show mine how to give back to the community. Gardening would be another great option, gets them out in the fresh air...make them work a little bit..keeps them busy.

Answer by SensualScents at 11:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Day trippin will keep them busy and outta mommas hair...go to the mall (it is cool there), the park, a beach, the library,or the zoo. anything to get them outta the house. hope it is a fun summer for all of you!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Go the library, park, if you can visit local mu seums, perhaps have a field trip every week to something different.

I also printed up some worksheets for the kids to do this summer. No I am bored's here! LOL! If they say out pops some "homework" LoL...I got my worksheets off of sites like or

Good luck.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 11:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• if my kids are bored they get to help me with chores. but anyway, get involved with the library's summer reading program. my library lets me take home up to 100 books every 2 weeks.

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Tell them to clean to their room. That'll learn 'em. I found a ton of things to do when I was a kid when I was presented with cleaning my room as the alternative.

Answer by lunasmom at 8:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• kids that have set sceduals tend to be less bored .
    also try play dates with friends, you get someone elses kids for a few hours one day, they the other parents get the kids on another day.

Answer by sandy786 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Not only does our library host a summer reading program, but also, they host poetry readings and a drama club and things like that. They have event schedules posted for the entire summer already so I can plan around that and get my son involved!

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:38 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Water, water, water...anywhere there is water, a pool at a friends house or a local sports club, a lake, the ocean...wherever they can get some sun and activity and have fun.

Answer by EDHmom at 6:17 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• go to In our state...not sure if it is bowl free by signing up online at this site, seleting the school s/he attends, and bowling alley closest to you that participates. My son gets 2 free games p/day every day all summer long. He loves it. It only costs $2 for shoe rentals, and if you have your own's all free!

Answer by shortcut at 1:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2008