Is this really true about formula fed babies?

I am expecting my first this fall and figuring out how i am going to care for my baby. I read that babies who are exclusivley fed formula are three times more likely to die of SIDS than babies who are exclusively fed breastmilk. Can this really be true??? Why don't scientist change formula if babies who drink it are three times more likely to die than breastfed babies?
Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://babyreference.com/InfantDeaths.htm

It is not so much that formula puts your baby at a higher risk of dying, it is more that breastfeeding lowers the risk of SIDS. Yes there have been several studies done that have statistics showing that of the babies who die of SIDS the majority of them were given formula. This is just one website that explain the findings. Google "Formula SIDS" you will come up with a lot more websites that have other studies similar to this one.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:56 PM on May. 29, 2009

• All three of my kids are just fine.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 5:44 PM on May. 29, 2009

• No. That's crap.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 5:44 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Honestly what you need to do is your OWN research and talk to your doctor....you will get MANY MANY confusing answers on this one...yes, breast is best and my DD is breastfed and for the last few months BF/FF...and she;'s fine.....Please don't let people confuse you....you don't need the stress and FF your baby if you HAVE to is NOT the end of the world. Good luck and congrats =)
    Anonymous

• huh... I never heard that one before... I HAD to feed my son formula and he was just fine. There are many causes of sids.. I think just be as careful and cautious as you can with your new little one in every aspect. good luck and congrats.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:45 PM on May. 29, 2009

• BTW...there is nothing in the formula that KILLS babies.....They are constanltly trying to improve the formula.....YOUR baby WILL BE FINE
    Anonymous

• I doubt that's true, but if that's a relevant statistic I would think that it's just coincidental. Just b/c formula fed babies die more often, doesn't mean that it is the formula that's causing them to die, rather, it is just happenstance. That's like saying women with brown hair are 3 times more likely to die from a heart attack than women without brown hair. It doesn't mean it's the brown hair causing the heart attack. See what I mean?
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:49 PM on May. 29, 2009

• breast fed babies die from SIDS just as much as formula fed. no one knows what causes SIDS and i highly doubt it has to do with what your feeding him/her.
    Anonymous

• As others have said, do your own research. American doctors are highly influenced by the formula and dairy industries, and our culture has sexualized breasts; which were created to provide the perfect food for our children. The World Health organization recommeds exclusive breastfeeding for six months and extended breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:50 PM on May. 29, 2009

• NO it's not true, it has nothing to do with what they eat, unless they have a servere allergy to something. Doc's are clueless as to what actually causes SID's
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:51 PM on May. 29, 2009