When is it going to stop and how can we make it stop?

Baby Brianna Mariah Lopez was sexually assaulted and covered from head to toe - literally in bruises and bite marks. Brianna also had injuries that were old including fractures to her skull and legs. The fractures on her legs, as stated by the coroner is when an infant is picked up by a quick jerking motion by the legs. Baby Brianna also had signs of shaken baby syndrome. On the night of her death she had been thrown to the ceiling and hit the floor three times and also sexually penetrated. When she was found by authorities it shocked them so badly they needed counselling. Her father and uncle had raped her and were also the ones who threw her to the ceiling without catching her during a night of drinking. Her mother caused the many bite marks on different occasions and also pinched Brianna when she became frustrated with her baby. Briannas father, Andy Walters would throw her when he became frustrated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Thank you tyfry7496. You can say that you are not prepared to read this all you want, but that' snot going to change the fact that this little girl is dead. It is not going to change the fact that there are thousands more living in her situation. This story will stay with us forever. There is nothing that will change that. We can use this anger and hatred we feel to stand up for these innocent victims. We CAN stop the cycle if we all work together. Not everyone is perfect, and we all get frustrated with our kids, but most of us have the good sense to be patient. These people should not have had children. It's too bad the government can't have a test to decide if a person should get pregnant. There might be a lot less children in this situation.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Child abuse is one of the main causes of death and disability in newborns, toddlers and children. It can be hard to tell if a child is being abused as the abuse can range from emotional or psychological to physical in which case tell tale signs can alert an individual to an abused child. Signs and symptoms can consist of any of the following:
    - Obvious bruising, swelling, cuts, cigarette burns.
    - Withdrawal from friends.
    - School work begins to suffer.
    - Fear of a certain person or family member.
    - Not wanting to go home.

This is just a rough guide, if you would like more information regarding signs to watch for contact your local police or child protection group.
    Anonymous

• OMG.. that makes me SICK! ugh... how can people do this??? wah.... makes me cry for her..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:51 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i think its sad that there are people that would do things like that to children. i dont think there is really anything we can do as a society except for being an advocate for children. watch for the signs, dont be afraid to stand up for these kids, if you know its going on-stop it. i also think harsher punishments for offenders should be placed. but there are so many kids that are violated and beaten but wont (for various reasons) come forward. i actually was one of those kids. not many people know this (actually very few) but in my own personal experience (i was molested) i was afraid to come forward out of fear of this person.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:53 PM on May. 29, 2009

• you need to put a warning on this kind of graphic i would rather not have rad this
    Anonymous

• In my little town, there was one case where a man killed his baby by throwing her around. He got off with only a few years in jail because he told the truth. Then there was a man who was put in jail for sexually assaulting his infant daughter but got out in less than a year. Where is the justice?!! I think anyone who harms a child like this needs the death penalty.

Anonymous

• We could kill them but then people would complain.That poor molestor/murderer. ugh
    babysyoungmom1

Answer by babysyoungmom1 at 6:36 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree that was very graphic and I was not prepared to read that this evening.
    Anonymous

• To the anon's, the problem isn't going to go away because you don't want to read something that is so graphic. It happens all the time and until people take their heads out of the sand and do something, it will continue. Instead of complaining that it was too graphic, help fight child abuse so no one has to read things like this or so an innocent child doesn't have to go through it.

The only way abuse is going to stop is by informing and educating people what is problem child development and proper ways to discipline a child. Harsher penalties for these types of crimes are needed to.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• It is so sad that every single day I hear a story just like this or similar. What has the world come to? It makes me not want to let my DD out of my sight ever even to go to school! Well I agree w/ the above posters we need to stand together & fight for these children. I was abused as a child & when I tried to come forward on a few occasions my abuser made the ppl that I asked for help think that everything I said was a lie! It took me until I was 16 to finally leave my own situation & I havent looked back or contacted that abuser since. Please I urge anyone that thinks or sees abuse going on w/ any child to step in. I understand that it may be scary to get yourself involved in a situation that is not ideal but someone will get hurt or killed. Its sad the amount of ppl who see warning signs & yet wait until it is too long to help. I hope that child abuse goes away some day & some day soon.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:29 PM on May. 29, 2009