how to tell if my DD just doesn't want to eat or she really doesn't like it?

There were times she told me she didn't like it then I find out she really does cause the next time I make it she will eat it. How can I know that she really likes it or if she doesn't? She sometimes will tell me she doesn't like what we are having for dinner and I tell her sh has to at least taste it. For example she done that one time when I made a ham she said she didn't like it so I told her to at least taste it she did and said no I don't like it and spit it out. The next day we had ham again for left overs and she ate it. I said I thought you didn't like it? She said yes I does lol.. Well yesterday we had sloppy joes for dinner she again said she didn't like it how do I know if she likes it or just telling me she doesn't when she does? The reason I am asking is I have a heck of a time to get her to eat dinner to begin with every single day

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• We have the 3 bite rule. After 3 bites, the child may have toast with peanut butter and honey and an apple (this is the only alternative).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:43 AM on May. 30, 2009

• i'm guessing shes about 3 b/c my daughter does this too. its one of those things where if shes not in the mood for it she tells me she doesn't like it. there will be nights she won't touch chicken and other nights she asks for seconds even thirds of the same thing. aside from just giving it to her again and again i haven't found a way to determine what she really doesn't like and what she really just doesn't want. sorry if thats no help, but wanted to let you know you aren't the only one. just keep giving her whatever she "doesn't like" and pay attention if she really doesn't eat it three or four times than you know she doesn't like it if she eats it and says she likes it than she likes it but the other times shes not in the mood for it or is just being argumentative
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• she just turned 4 last month....yes my daughter is just like that
    Anonymous

• We have the four bite rule at our house. I make a plate with about 4 bites of everything on it. After ALL of the food is gone he can have seconds on whatever he wants. If he chooses to only eat the four bites of the food he 'likes' then I guess he'll be hungry for the next meal. (That only happened like 3 times before he got the drift) It's just how it is and he knows that. I do always make sure to make at least one thing I know he loves.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:56 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't force my son or any child to eat anything. I don't like when I am forced to eat something I don't like or want to eat and I will not do the same to a child or anyone else. I also make sure I make kid friendly foods when I cook, there is something that my son eats at every meal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:01 PM on May. 29, 2009