WHAT CAN I GIVE MY DAUGHTER?

I HAVE A 10 MO. OLD ..SHE PUTS EVERYTHING IN HER MOUTH IM AFRAID SHE MIGHT GET SICK OF SO MANY GERMS & BACTERIA SHE PUTS IN HER MOUTH.. I TRY KEEPING EVERYTHING AT HOME NICELY SANITIZED JUST IN CASE SHE MANAGES IT. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN GIVE HER TO CLEAN OUT THE GERMS & BACTERIA?

_LAMORENA_

Asked by _LAMORENA_ at 6:04 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry so much. If things are basically clean, a little bacteria give her immune system something to build up a resistance to.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:06 PM on May. 29, 2009

• if shes at home and she puts it into her mouth, its likely bacteria shes already been exposed to so theres nothing to worry about. unless its animal waste and in that case there isn't anything you can do to "sanitize" her mouth just clean her mouth out the best you can w/a toothbrush (and for whatever else is really gross) outside of the house, you just have to make sure she doesn't have anything in her hands you don't want in her mouth.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:07 PM on May. 29, 2009

• ask your doc but i was told that children need to be exposed to germs and bacteria regularly. it helps develop their immune systems. I grew up in the country and so am used to kids being filthy from play and eating things that would make an adult gag. ex. cookies dropped in the mud and then snatched up and eaten, or dropped in the river and eaten. my kids get one cold a year on average and i much prefer that to how often all of their friends seem to be sick. i would not worry so much about it.

Old Joke: with the first child you are so worried about germs if they drop their pacifier on the ground you get them a new clean one and make sure you sanatize the dirty one in boiling water before they are allowed to have it back. with the second child you simply run the pacifier under the running tap, and give it back. one you have three or more kids you simply stick it in your mouth, suck it off and hand it back. lol.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 6:34 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Most 10 month olds put everything in their mouth! The human race would not have survived if this was a big problem. Most germs won't make you sick anyway. While you don't want her eating off the floor in the shopping mall, everyday objects around the house will not hurt.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:18 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my dd put eveything in her mouth at that age ang when she was out side it was rock, leaves and sticks,we also have animals so is wasnt a suprise when she started kissing the dog on the nose...lol
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 5:20 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Its good for her immune system. It isn't going to mature if it is never exposed to anything. Why wage war against a species that has out numbered 100billion to one? You are never going to win.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 9:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2009