fed up with ticks!

anybody know any secrets to getting rid of ticks?? i live in the country and our yard is infested with them. the dogs have had treatments, and we have bombed the house twice, yet i just found one in the carpet. i heard that feeding the dogs garlic powder will keep them away. And that putting lavander lotion on will keep them off of me and my baby. Is any of this true? I'm just fed up with always feeling itchy. Any advice would be great

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• let me know if you find out something. We don't even live in the country and they are even bad where we are at. We don't have them in the house, but since it started getting nice out my 4 year old has had them twice. The first time she only had one in her hair. The second time she had 3....2 in her hair and one on her ear. I found on the other day on my sock when I was getting a bath. I hate those things so everytime my girls and I go outside I spray us with off lol.....Although since I started spraying off on us I haven't seen any on us lol
    Anonymous

• I have 3 dogs, I do not treat in any way for fleas or ticks, and don't have either fleas or ticks. (the dogs are 7yrs, 6yrs, 9 months). I live in a rural area also. I'm sure they're out there, but one thing is we keep the lawn mowed all the time. Ticks do not like sunshine. They like the tall grasses and then jump on the fur. We have a sidewalk of cement around the perimeter of the house, and I'm thinking this is one thing in my favor. Every time the dogs come in, they get a good rubdown to check. Could be something in their food repels? I feed Blue Buffalo to all the dogs. I bath them with oatmeal/aloe shampoo (I manage a dog kennel and also groom). I do not use topical treatments, I do not give in pill form, and I don't vaccinate against lyme.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:25 PM on May. 29, 2009

• We live in the country. Flea, ticks and chiggars are a problem all summer long. We have a 100 yard radius treated the first part of May every year. It costs about $200 here. We also check for ticks every single night. We also spray us and clothing with Deep Woods Off everytime we have to be outside. My sister got Lyme disease from a tick so we are very proactive. After any tick bit be sure to watch for the classic blullseye rash for a few weeks. If you even think it might be see a Dr. immediately. Untreated lyme can cause irreversible damage.
    Anonymous

• I found this article with some good information. I hope it helps.

http://www.pestproducts.com/ticks2.htm

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• If you can have farm birds, buy some chickens or new guenias because they eat ticks
    lisarob

Answer by lisarob at 9:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2009