Is anyone good at budgeting? I am somehow always behind in my bills even though I save every penny...

Can anyone help me with a monthly budget or even just some tips on how to save money?
(I support myself and my son on one income. The only assistance I get is food stamps so I pay for everything else.)

MommyKKay

Asked by MommyKKay at 6:24 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• You need to lower your expenses. Here are a few tips:
    Turn off lights
    Unplug unused appliances
    wash all of your laundry in cold water\
    line dry your clothes
    make your own cleaning products
    cancel cable tv.
    if you have a cell phone and a landline, get rid of one.
    past the age of two, the only beverage that human require is water; stop buying other beverages. you can liven it up with sliced of fruits or vegetables; make icecubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids
    Stop buying meat, use beans, tofu and lentils instead; buy dried beans and lentils instead of canned
    have breakfast for dinner: cereal and fruit; vegetable omlettes and toast
    before you go to the grocery store, write out all meals and snacks for the next 8 days; write out your grocery list based on what you need to make those meals. Eat before you go to the store, buy only what is on your list.
    If you would like meal and recipe ideas, contact me.
    -

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I am really good at budgeting so if you want to message me then by all means. I'll do what I can to help you save some money.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:27 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I am very good at CREATING budgets but you still have to stick to it... I would be happy to help you. Just pm me!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:34 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Budget/Frugal Tips:
    1. Write out a menu that you can stick to.
    2. Use coupons.
    3. Buy what you need, not what you want.
    4. Save and eat leftovers.
    5. Put your change in a jar and do not change it unless of an emergency.
    6. When writing up your budget, figure out where most of your money is going.
    7. Eat before going grocery shopping.
    8. Use cold water when washing laundry.
    9. If you use your credit card, pay it off asap.
    10. Use cash instead of credit.
    11. Make meals with no meat.
    12. Try to limit eating out.
    13. Make things homemade.
    14. Check out Craigslist.
    15. Pay bills online.
    16. Take lunch to work instead of buying.
    17. Drink water instead of soda/coffee.
    emtgirl885

Answer by emtgirl885 at 6:55 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I am really anal about budgeting, if you want some help feel free to send me a message.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 7:03 PM on May. 29, 2009

• simple pay all your bills first then whatever you have leftover is yours.I pay all my bills first then whatever I have left is mine.Plain and simple.When you grocery shoping grab the paper first and look for special then make your list.Use coupons and shop at wherehouse like food for less or smart n final.look for managers specials.Bread is 50 cents .koolaid in a canister $1,beans,hot dogs hot buns a dollar.Today I bought a pack of ground beef,cereal,beans,milk all for $4.97.very cheap.Always look for specials.The ads they send to you sit down and look at them,They always send coupons.make coffee at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on May. 30, 2009

• First you have to analyze where your money is going, then create a budget starting with regular expenses, like rent, utilities, etc. If you find that your expenses regularly exceed your income, then either the income must increase of the expenses must decrease. Usually the expenses must be decreased. You need to prioritize any and all expenses to decide what is most important for your family. As a single parent who lived with only one income and no child support or government assistance to speak of, it is extremely difficult but possible. If you want to contact me personally, I would be glad to help more. Been there, did it, SUCCEEDED!!!
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 1:25 PM on May. 30, 2009