When relationships end...

Why is it that when a straight marriage ends it's seen as "unfortunate" and "just something that happens" but when a gay couple devides it's seen as "expected" or "what happens when people live like that"?

Do people really see a gay relationship as meaning less to those in it than they do straight relationships?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:24 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not me. I model a lot of what I do off of my old neighbor's (they are gay) relationship because it is the most successful LTR I have ever witnessed (30+years together). But on the same note I have quite a few gay friends that just don't seem to know how to make a good relationship work. I don't think it is a sexual orientation thing, but rather what and how particular people act or do things.

It also made me realize that the woman versus men in a relationship books are a bunch of hooey...
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 6:34 PM on May. 29, 2009

• No, it is sad when two people can not work out their relationship. A romantic relationship that is long term is valid whether or not it is between two men, two women, or a man and a women. There are plenty of hetero marriages that only last six weeks. are they more valid then a life long commitment. NO NO NO. Marriage is just a word, it should not define your love.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 8:26 PM on May. 29, 2009

• It's hard on any relationship when it ends. But the problem with society and gay couples is that they (society) can not see outside the bedroom or any further than down their nose (no not the whole of society, but a good portion of it)
    Wither in a marriage or not, it takes work to keep a relationship going and to me it doesn't matter wither or not it is a hetero -or gay couple if you don't work at it it won't work.

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I've never felt that way nor do I know of anyone that feels that way (at least openly!). Are you reading into things a little maybe?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I most certainly don't feel that way. I think it's sad when any relationship ends. If you love(d) someone, no matter the sex, it's always bound to be difficult.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:25 PM on May. 29, 2009