my SO wants a motorcycle...

my SO really wants to get a crotch rocket, and im really against it just because 3 of my close friends have got in accidents and one of them died. how can i get him to change his mind? i've tried telling him about my friends but that didn't work..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• He is a grown man who should be able to buy a motorcycle if he wants it. I grew up on them, my parents ride and my husband has one. They are all still alive and well. How would you like it if he told you that you could not do something because he did not agree with it?
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 6:30 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My Dh has a motorcycle. It makes me nervous, but he is a grown man and entitled to make his own decisions.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 6:31 PM on May. 29, 2009

• well yeah i understand that. but the thing is he's only 20.. which means one thing.. he wants to go FAST, really fast. him and his friend were talking about racing and it scares the hell out of me.
    Anonymous

• I agree Magpie75 my dh rides as well there are risks with anything
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:32 PM on May. 29, 2009

• If he is paying for it he can buy it. You can get killed driving a car and walking
    Anonymous

• i think you should let him..you gotta trust him to be careful and wear a helmet! good luck
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 6:36 PM on May. 29, 2009

• They are great. I say get one. They save on gas so much. However, I do not recommend a sport bike. Cruisers are better. Sport bikes kill your knees, are usually stereotyped as being assholes, etc. On the practical side of life, the insurance on sport bikes is usually double if not more than that than cruisers.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:38 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i agree with the others! I see where you are nervous, but he is a grown man, and what you witnessed happen to your friends doesnt mean it'll happen to him if he rides it correctly!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:47 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Let him get the bike but agree on certain safety rules. First, have him take a Motorcycle Safety Course. You can find info about them on your state's driver's licensing website. These courses are full of incredible info. Second, make sure he gets his motorcycle endorsement on his driver's license. That won't make him safe, but it will make him legal & if he gets caught riding without it, his bike could be impounded & he could get a ticket. Third, agree on riding gear. Full face helmet, padded jacket & pants or riding suit, riding gloves, & boots. Both my husband & I are riders & are also training to be rider coaches. Our rule is All the Gear, All the Time. If we aren't as safe as possible, we don't get on the bike. Take the rider course yourself as well--even if you never ride again, you will be proud of yourself for doing it.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:34 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My brother died as a result from a motorcycle accident. I will not ride one but my husband has one. He wears protection but I still worry about him.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 7:51 PM on May. 29, 2009