Does that really happen?

I see people on here all the time who are more conservative in their thinking who claim to have friends who are gay or atheist, or in an interacial relationship, or whatever they have a problem with that know how they feel and that they disapprove of their lifestyle.
Could anyone really be friends with someone who is convinced they are going to hell or living in sin and so wrong in the most fundamental of ways? I can only speak from my perception that while I have friends who live and think differently than I do and we are all okay with that, if one tried to tell me that though they love me they think I live my life all wrong and am going to hell, the friendship would be irreparibly harmed. Am I alone in this?

mandaday

Asked by mandaday at 6:30 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know from my own experience, within my circle of friends are a few ultra conservative Christians and assorted gay/athiest/pagan/heathen/etc people. While we all get along for the sake of keeping the peace, unless we are discussing politics and religion, for the most part the conservative Christians are being humored.

The reason we all associate is because of a complex combination of some are related to others, while others married in, and the odd combination that comes from a group that's been together for nearly 10 years. Rather than risk offending someone because you hate their brother in law, you just grin and bear it.

The downside of that is these ultra I-hate-everyone-not-like-me-conservatives think they have actual friends in the group, who are really just tolerating them for someone else's sake. The truth is they can have civil conversations, and share interests, but there is not the trust of a real friend.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree with you. Seems hypocritical in a very deep way.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:46 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree with you, if I think/know beating your child is wrong; I could not be friends with someone who did. If someone drives drunk I could not be friends with them, because it is allowing something I feel is wrong to my core, OK. Now I have christian friends and family, very gay friends, and interracial couples in my circle but to me none of those are wrong nor comprimise my morals. I dont see how it would work, I think it just might be a tolerance of others but not a true friendship IMO.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:53 PM on May. 29, 2009

• if by conservative you are referring to politically.. I understand.. I consider myself independant.. but other than 3 issues.. all the rest that I side with are republican

the three issues being:
    I'm pro-choice
    I'm for gay rights
    and I'm atheist (not christian).. so I believe in separation of church and state.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:10 PM on May. 29, 2009

• most of my friends and family share similar views... but obviously no two people share the exact same views in everything... it's why we have friends of all kinds... I have some that are fun to just go out with, some are better for talking with about politics.. others about religion, etc.

it doesn't make you a hypocrite to share in different opinions.. it makes you unique... and makes for sometimes stronger friendships.. (besides, if I had a friend that agreed with me about EVERYTHING... I'd feel like I was talking to myself in the mirror and would get pretty bored quick) someone with new or different ideas, keeps things mixed up and fun.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:14 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I can't speak for everyone, but my gay friends would not be friends with people who didn't respect them or understand them. They would be friendly to them but wouldn't become true friends.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they're damned to Hell. It is a sin but we ALL sin. My sin is no different than their sin in God's eyes.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:15 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Yup, I agree with NotPanicking. I would not choose to be a good friend of someone who believed I was going to hell unless it was someone in my family or I had to put up with them to keep the peace for some other reason.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:18 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I am seriously in shock. So it is okay for you to not want to be friends with me because of my religious beliefs, even though I am so willing and eager to be friends with you.

Isn't that hypocritical? If you value tolerance you should have some!!!

I love all of you guys, and I DO have gay friends and family. That is true. And they LOVE me. Is that so weird? Why can't we love each other. They are not just tolerating me. In fact, half of them have Christian upbringings and they believe in God, they just aren't living it. And I don't bring it up or shove it in their face either. I don't sit around looking down on them telling them they are going to hell.

Renee is right. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they are damned to hell. It is one of many sins the Bible says that a Christian needs to repent of. You can be a Christian and still have those desires.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:11 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Sorry if that came off in the angry voice, LOL. I am not angry. I am flabbergasted (sp?) though : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:12 AM on May. 30, 2009