Breastfeeding is my nightmare! If you had the same experience when did it end for you???

My little girl is 3 months old. She suffers everyday, the only variability is the seriousness of her cramps. She's a great sleeper when the pain subsides but for the most part she spends almost all day/night long writhing in pain from gas and cramps. Woudn't she have the same level pain each day if it was simply gas. So I started removing dairy, beef, offending vegetables, tomatoes, citric juices etc.. I'm now thinking it could be wheat, which is the only thing left to omit. I had no idea breastfeeding could be so mentally draining. Normally I wouldn't be so obsessive but my baby suffers so badly, she doesn't cry in long bouts, she cries out in pain on and off all day, basically in waves of pain this ISNT COLIC, no crying bouts for 3 hours at a time etc. Doctor called it colic, said it would subside by 6 months. I don't know if I can last 3 more months watching her lack sleep. anyone have the same thing? does it end??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Colic doesnt usually last for 6 months, I would get a second opinion. My DS was breastfed and I had to eliminate dairy from my diet because everytime I had milk and fed him, he threw up, not spit up....I dont know what could be going on but it does sound like someone needs to see her.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:35 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Just curious as to how you know she's in pain? My kid cried for a long time when she was first born, it wasn't always hard-core crying, more like constant fussing. My doc. just said "all babies look like their stomachs hurt." And I've heard that the digestive tract/healthy stomach bacteria doesn't form in kids for 2 yrs. or something. How can you tell it's pain from gas? I'm wondering for my own info.
    Anonymous

• well she curls into a fetal ball and screams, or extends her legs so they are like rocks. and eventually she passes gas or if it's a stool, she'll actually cry for a good 10 minutes before she finally passes a stool. If this only happened for an hour or so a day I could handle it but almost all day all night, somethings got to give! Her bowel movements are usually very mucousy and one time there was a tiny little stream of blood in there. I've been around other newborns and infants and I've just never seen a baby act like this, I guess that's why it bothers me so much. Worry and i just don't meld. If I knew it was normal I could relax a little bit but it just seems to abnormal for a baby to be in pain this often. She only really gets fussy when she's overtired but I can tell the difference for sure.
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 7:02 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Mylicon at every feeding. this was recommended to me while I was pregnant with my first child. I now swear by the stuff for babies. When mine were little like that you knew if i missed a dose. It's also very safe because it goes straight through the digestive tract. It doesn't have to be metabolized by any other organs.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Has anyone looked at overactive letdown for you? It might now be anything at all in your diet, but rather a fast letdown that's making her swallow too much air.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• These are also signs of baby getting too much foremilk (this can irritate baby's intestines). This is usually due to an oversupply of milk. Look at the list of symptoms here and see if any others fit you and your baby: Oversupply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• GRIPE WATER!!!! Get some gripe water (something with Oil of Fennel and Sodium Bicarbonate) I used the Kolik brand. (make sure no alcohol). It is LIQUID GOLD for gas, burping, cramping...I wish someone had told me about it earlier. I didn't discover it until 2.5 mo. and once I started giving it to her...my whole world got brighter!!!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:19 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I went through the same exact thing. I took everything out of my diet and taking gluten out seemed to help the most. He never seemed to out grow it and I finally contacted an integrative medicine pediatrician and he put him on a probiotic and a digestive enzyme. He was almost 2 when we started but wow he is a different kid life is so much better I wish I had called earlier. I did read on his probiotic that it is for 0-5 years. This may be something to look into. The mylicon also helped, I did that at every feeding.  I will have to also read more about oversupply.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 12:32 AM on May. 30, 2009