Is it ok to give my DD something not even 2 minutes after she eats dinner?

She is 4 sometimes she doesn't eat good and if she doesn't eat good she for sure doesn't get anything to eat, but there are times where she does eat her dinner really good. When she is finished I ask her if she want's more she says no, but not even 2 minutes after we eat dinner she wants something else wether it is lunch meat, chips, cookies or a popcycle. Is it ok to give her these 2 minutes after dinner if that is what she want's or should I make her eats seconds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, at my house I would have to say no not really. If my son eats a good dinner he does get to have a snack before bed not right after dinner but it's hardly ever things like you listed. Most of the time it's graham crackers, yogurt w/ marshmallows in it (yeah that sounds gross but he thinks it's awesome) or a fruit cup. I will admit that he does get a Popsicle or something before bed sometimes. When he does start asking for snack right after dinner I inform him he should have eaten more at dinner and he can wait until snack time. That's just me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:52 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i personally would give her a treat. if she ate good, i dont see why not. if she didnt eat so well, i would tell her to eat a little more (she doesnt have to clean her plate IMO) but if she eats a little more, then give her a treat if she wants it.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:36 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i think this answer is different for each family. I will feed my daughter (2yo) dinner with everyone but some nights i have to actually feed her to ensure she at leasts eats some. she will always ask for more to eat no matter what she ate at dinner or how much. I always make her wait for an hour or so until after her bath and then she gets a cup of milk and a snack such as fruit, yougert or string cheese. it fills her up and she no longer wakes during the night from hunger.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 6:45 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I'm with the first post... if she eats a good amount I would give her a snack. Sometimes the only reason my DD eats dinner is for a snack after.
    Lovejoy0303

Answer by Lovejoy0303 at 6:49 PM on May. 29, 2009

• if she ate good then yes dessert is okay...if she didnt eat good then I would tell her she needs to eat more dinner before she can have any type of junk food.I always tell my son he needs to eat however many bites,and i pick the bites and THEN he can have dessert
    starryeyez23

Answer by starryeyez23 at 6:53 PM on May. 29, 2009

• well my 5 yr old went thru a phase at 3 when she was first feeding herself, that if the food was too hard to get to her mouth, she would just give up eating and say she was done. I had to feed her more and it was fine. now I have my 3 yr old going thru this same thing, she wants to "do it herself" but has trouble keeping it on the spoon till it gets to the mouth, ha after a few tries, she will just say she is done.. not full, just done. so we always have I call it a second dinner, at lunch i try to do easy finger foods, but dinner is always a test. and after cleaning up I always have 2 lil girls wanting more to eat.
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 7:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't because I don't give my daughter these crap foods. She can eat dinner and if she says she is hungry later she can have fruit, veggies, cheese, yogurt or left overs. She usually does get a bedtime snack.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:26 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Help! What is DD?
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 8:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• If she ate good, I see no reason she can't have a little treat. My kids will occasionally get a little treat after dinner, sometimes right away, sometimes much later, if they eat their dinner really well. If they don't eat, they don't get anything and they are told that if they are hungry, they should have thought of that when they had a plate full of food in front of them. I think it really depends on your family and your household, though. Everyone is different.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:23 PM on May. 29, 2009

• for GODSWK DD means darling daughter
    Anonymous