question about dilating/or not

soo i got checked for the first time this week, and my dr said "i can barely get one finger in your cervix, which means nothing much is going on". do you think that must mean that im dilating at least a little tiny bit? i didnt think you were supposed to be able to get anything in the cervix? sry if its a dumb question

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 6:36 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• a fingertip dilated is less that 1. you are NOT technically dilated in cm like people say! Think about it... a babies head averages 14 inches... how the heck would something 14 inch (35 cm) fit through something 10 cm?? I know that when you can spread your index & middle fingers completely apart, that is what they say is 5 cm (and if you measure it with a ruler its actually about 9 cm)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:35 PM on May. 29, 2009

• No that means you are not dilated. and when you dilate, your cervix will open in measurements of centimeters.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:38 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i'm not dialated either and my due date is this sunday...

your cervix will open (dialate) when the baby puts pressure on the cervix . you need to be 10cm in order to push out your baby.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• If he can get one finger in your cervix you are dilated at least to 1, but if this is your second this can be normal. No its not a stupid question, but even when he checks and your dilated to say 3 to 4, dont take it as labor will start soon LOL, alot of women walk aroung for weeks dilated. When your baby is ready to come out labor will start..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• lol im 39 weeks whent in to the doctors yesterday to get my cervex checked,..nothing!!! but the doctor says it doesnt mean anything and you could be not dialted at all and give birth the next day but she said in my case i'd most likely be back next week :(
    want2bamommy780

Answer by want2bamommy780 at 6:48 PM on May. 29, 2009

• after my dr told me this, she says "it could happen anytime from now until your due date".. i was like oooh boy, cuz im a first timer and have no i dea what to expect! lol
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 6:57 PM on May. 29, 2009