My 3 yr old is underweight...and I'm gaining for him!

Actually, both of my children are underweight. They gain only a few ounces a month... I, on the other hand, seem to be gaining all their weight for them. Despite running around the house like a crazy woman, I am 20 pounds over my "ideal weight".

How can I help my children reach a healthy weight, while reaching and maintaining a healthy weight myself??

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 6:51 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Underweight according to who? I hate the growth charts because every family is different genetically my kids fall under the norm but it's norm for mine as we have some very small people in our family I would not worry about it as long as they are eating right

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:55 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well my son is 3 1/3 years old and weighs 25 lbs., and my daughter is 20 months old and weighs 17 lbs. All the medical professionals are saying they're underweight.
    My DH berates me when I get anything low fat or no fat...or in anyway "health food", because he says our kids need the extra calories. Meanwhile, he and I are gaining way too much! He has 20-30 extra pounds, and I have 15-20 extra pounds.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 7:08 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Maybe buy low fat for you and dh and give the kids the other stuff my dd is 2 and has only gain 1 pound in the last 8 months
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think your kids are fine. My DD is 2.5 years and 19lbs. I buy her low fat and fat free dairy products because even skinny people get clogged arteries. She eats healthy fats such as fish, olives, nuts, peanuts, etc. She eats whole grains and lots of veggies and fruits. Tell your husband and the doctors to eff off.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:38 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My son is also underweight. His Dr still wants him on healthy foods- you are teaching your kiddos now what to eat for the rest of their lives and it is WAY hard to have anything fatty in the house and stay away from it :) - his Dr says to sneak in extra calories with butter, on toast, waffles, ect- and just stick with fresh fruits and veggies- kids are active :) they burn calories way faster- the punks! :)
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 8:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my daughter is 4 and she only weigh 35lbs she been stuck there for a year. i worry about it alot but her dr doesnt. her dad was tall and a bean pole as a kid and i short and tiny. cant tell by lookin at us today though...lol she eats some what healthy like i limite the fast food she eat and the junk food. i pusk lots of dairy just bc she a girl and little girls need it. now my ss on the other hand is 2 and he weighs close to 35 lbs but his mom is kind of chunky and his half brother is 3 months and weighs 15 lbs so alot of it depends on ur shild life style, what they eat, and their genetic make up.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:10 PM on May. 30, 2009

• jessicasea--"they burn calories way faster- the punks! :) "

Hehehehehe!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:10 PM on May. 30, 2009