Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you say to the lousy lawyers who work to take away services from parents with children with disabilities?

Every day there are parents suing the Department of Education for services never provided to their children. If a child have muscular problems the child never gets rehabilitation services such as physical or occupation therapy. For a child who has poor articulation due to a nervous system problems speech therapy would help to work on his oral motor skills.

Unfortunately for the Parents the lawyers who work for the department of education use tactics to discourage parents to sue them.


Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Anon obviously doesn't have a disabled child. The schools educate special ed or special needs children by providing those services!

    For example, a preschool child who cannot speak is given speech therapy so that they can speak better and participate in oral school work, such as reading aloud.  The child with muscular problems will have trouble writing.  Fine motor skills do not develop well until gross motor skills are developed. 

    Education is not just about craming facts into their heads it is about preparing them for adulthood


    Answer by teamquinn at 7:58 PM on May. 29, 2009

  • It is parent job to take care of their kids. Schools job is to educate kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on May. 29, 2009

  • Anon obviously missed the total point.


    Answer by aurorabunny at 7:24 PM on May. 29, 2009

  • Both of my children are autistic and they receive a TON of therapies provided by the school department...special classes, tutoring/learning support, speech therapy, occupational therapy, social/life skills, behavior modification and special exception for timed tests (more time allotted), etc.

    You need to have a DIAGNOSIS in order to receive services...they won't give them to you just because you want them! Ask your pediatrician for a Developmental Pediatrician or Neurologist, and have your child evaluated. The public schools cannot refuse to work with you or your child with a diagnosis. IF the public schools refuse, then THEY will be required to provide PRIVATE education at THEIR expense!

    Answer by LoriKeet at 8:31 PM on May. 29, 2009