why wont my 7 week old son sleep?

He fights sleep during the day, he only takes 30min cat naps then he up and cranky and not hungry. what do I do, I feel like the worst mother ever because I don't know what to do to help him stop fighting sleep.

huntersmommy408

Asked by huntersmommy408 at 7:18 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He does it because he's seven weeks old. **grin** This is normal and you're not a bad mom.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:27 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well, its hard to see the future of a baby. They go through so many stages. My newborn didn't sleep through the night until he was a couple of months old. He use to sleep all the time, now, forget it. He's a total different baby! I can hardly get him down for a 'good' nap. I think he's also teething. He is constantly sticking his fist in his mouth and doesn't want to feed. I've tried basically everything. A new thing he loves is when i stand up and just rock him to sleep. I hate that he's use to this, but i've tried just about everything and this seems to work. Like i said earlier, they just go through so many changes and milestones. Ask your baby's pediatrician, maybe he/she will have some suggestions. :). Hope i helped, somewhat! GOOD LUCK!!
    kayleesmomma86

Answer by kayleesmomma86 at 8:32 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Welcome to life with an infant. Constantly changing. My son is almost three months old and will be consistent for a while with a schedule I get used to. Then, at a moment's notice, he changes. Just go with the flow. Good luck!
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:36 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Where is he napping during the day? It seems a little young, but at some point, napping in the bouncer or the car seat or wherever he happens to be becomes a difficult thing for your increasingly aware baby. Once he realizes what he's missing while he sleeps, he'll start fighting sleep. AND...babies who aren't getting enough sleep are much harder to get to sleep than well rested babies...so it becomes a cycle. Try starting a consistent naptime/bedtime routine. (Swaddled, bottle/breast, burp, bed in his crib or other low light/quiet area). If there isn't anything going on around him, you may find he fights sleep less. Above all though, babies continuously go through phases...just when you think you have it down, they change the rules of the game. Hang in there!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:16 PM on May. 29, 2009