Which over-the-counter weight-loss supplement is most worth the money?

(Alli, Leptopril, Etc....)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• None. **grin**

Weight loss supplements slim wallets, not waistlines.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:22 PM on May. 29, 2009

• None of them.

Healthy food + exercise = weight loss. None of those are good for you and you don't need them.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 7:22 PM on May. 29, 2009

• alli
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 7:22 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Yes yes....I eat healthily and I exercise....however, my metabolism needs a boost due to medications I used to take that brought it down.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 7:25 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Working at a health club, I never recommend ANY weight loss pills because they are not evaluated by the FDA and many of them are being studied for causing heart problems. However, I have heard good things about Alli, and it is actually the only one approved by the FDA. It only works to HELP you lose weight by dieting and excercising as well, so only taking the pills is not going to do anything.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:28 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Go to the FDA website many diet pills have been recalled... I believe the count is up to 72 different brands.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• OMG that is crazy scary about the recall on all the diet pills

i must warn you on alli........ a friend of mine was taking it and she had MANY accidents......... NOT for me lol
    oscarandbaby

Answer by oscarandbaby at 10:50 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I've been taking Alli and have not had any 'accidents' also called treatment effects. I have not been exercising as much as I should be but I've still lost some weight without vigorous exercise. I plan on using it only to help me get a good start and down to my pre-pregnancy weight, which is about 20 lbs. then I will hopefully have my routine down to lose the rest myself.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:06 PM on May. 29, 2009

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, & hard on your body. In order to maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    Start with regular exercise, as simple as walking, for at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Now, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 6-7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html. Feel free to ask me any questions. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 9:13 AM on May. 30, 2009

• The thing about supplements is that they are of no use without without a healthy diet and exercise routine. They are simply not miracle pills and it seems that so many people expect them to work miracles. If you are going to use a supplement I would use something natural and not laden with stimulants. I would agree that there are a lot of concoctions out their that are just no good either because they contain bad stuff or are simply not effective. But just because a product does not come under the FDA's review does not necessarily means it's bad for you. There are plenty of healthy natural products out their that can augment a sound diet and exercise routine.
    Myra400

Answer by Myra400 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2009