Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What exactly is a diaphram, and how do you get one?

Yes, I am twenty-three and I have no idea (well I have some idea). Help me....I have screwy hormones and I hate condoms and vaginal spermicide inserts. I am running out of birth control options.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Health

Answers (4)
  • It is a rubber type cup that is inserted through the vagina & basically cradles the cervix & provides a physical barrier to prevent sperm from entering the cervix & therefore, prevents pregnancy. You have to have a gyn exam & have a prescription for one. I've never used one so I have no idea how they feel but I have heard they can stay in for several hours. Talk to your doctor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on May. 29, 2009

  • It's like a rubber disk with a slight indentation, sizes vary that you put spermacide in. You pinch it and push it up inside to cover the cervix. It worked for me for years.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on May. 29, 2009

  • Ditto to the previous two posters.  Also you have to fitted for one by your ob/gyn and if it is inserted properly you don't feel it at all.

    The downside is that it can take away some of the spontinatity of sex and has to be left in for a certain length of time (can't remember how long).  It also has to be washed after every use and examined regularly for any holes.


    Answer by beeky at 8:49 PM on May. 29, 2009

  • I have been using one on and off for many years. I love that it is hormone free, has no side effects, and is perfectly safe.

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:29 AM on May. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.