Teenager Baby sitting?

I was wondering how much should I pay a girl thats 15 years old to watch my 2 year old girl? She lives across the street from me and loves my kid.

LaurenNoelle

Asked by LaurenNoelle at 7:24 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would say like $6 an hour is fair. I've heard the rule is a little less than minimum wage. I used to baby sit in high school and would usually get around $5 an hour...but that was a few years ago.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:25 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I usually only get a babysitter for a couple of hours b/c I'm a sahm so I'm not sure what the going rate is but we do it for date nights and I pay $10 an hour
    Anonymous

• I would pay around minimum wage an hour..

if it is over 8 hours I would pay her what you would pay a day care :30-40 dollars a day.

and $5 for anything over 8 hours.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:56 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I asked my 14 year old what she would expect for babysitting and she said $12 per hour. We live in NY.
    Lvincent777

Answer by Lvincent777 at 9:24 PM on May. 29, 2009

• IS that even legal? Here it's not! You have to be 16 to be in charge of chidren in PA. I know a woman that was charged with Child Indangerment and Abandonment because she left her child with someone uner 16... To me, I would pay more and get an adult!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:37 PM on May. 29, 2009

• BTW, I have NEVER been paid by the hour for sitting. Just by the job. Usually about $30 for 8 hours but that was 10 years ago. And I've never left my kids, so I don't really know how it would go now.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:38 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Hmm..I personally wouldn't trust a teen to babysit. I have a teen step daughter and she is just too immature for her age and only seems to care about herself. At the same time ..maybe I'd be a little more trusting if they took a babysitting course. The red cross offers them.

Here is MA ...sitters get around 20 bucks an hour! Yup. You read that right LOL! This topic was brought up in a local group I belong too and one lady even said she pays her sitter $25 an hour! That is crazy! I would say IF you choose to use a teen as your sitter ..I would do no more than minimum wage.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I've never paid less than $15 an hour. Thats just what it costs for a QUALITY sitter. You can pay a child to watch your child but thats irresponsible and not wise. That teenager might invite a boy over that molests your child and he wouldn't even go to prison for it bc he's underage just a little juvy. Be smart. This is a two year old. I'm glad she loves your daughter but 15 is barely out of junior high and its not 1966. What happens if your daughter starts choking is a 15 year old responsible and mature enough to know what to do? I doubt it.
    Anonymous

• My 13 year old is a Red Cross certified babysitter (this means that she knows CPR and basic first aid). She gets paid $7 an hour for one child. She has four families that she sits for on a regular basis; it turns out that parents prefer a mature and trained 13 year old to a flighty college student.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 AM on May. 30, 2009