what kind of cereal do you feed your child?

i used to give mine all the non sugary kind kix cherrios, rice crispies, ect. but then they didnt want it anymore so i decided to mix sugary cereal like fruit loops and coco balls and they ate it but now all they do is eat the sugary and leave the rest. i want them to eat a good b fast but i dont know what to do anymore.they wont eat oatmeal i have a super picky eater and a eat almost anything eater. if you got advice im all ears.lol thanks

rosepetalluv

Asked by rosepetalluv at 7:55 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i give my baby cherrios, rice crispies
    rubipresiosa1

Answer by rubipresiosa1 at 7:57 PM on May. 29, 2009

• most cereals now are whole grains at least. my daughter usually has fruit loops or cinnamon toast crunch for breakfast and she gets strawberries or bananas with it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:01 PM on May. 29, 2009

• you could try honey nut cheerios too, my daughter used to love those
    vabchmommy

• Well, try something that's sweet, but not sugary: Honey Nut Cheerios, Multi-Grain Cherrios, Fruity Cherrios, Frosted Mini Wheats, Life, Cinnamon Life...those are just a few that come to mind. Another idea is just give them the non-sugary cereals like before...they will eat it if they're hungry!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:17 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well, my son is now on a sweetned (sp) cereal kick, but he started out on kix and honey nut cherrios. Now all he wants is "rabbit cereal" which is Trix...I'm happy as long as the kid eats though...It could be worse, he could be wanting doughnuts like his sister!LOL!
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 8:58 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Like OP said, at least teh cereal now is made with whole grain, and a lot of them have less sugar. Include some fruit with breakfast, and then just work on nutritious meals/snacks for the rest of the day, I think you'll be okay.

How old is your child? At a certain age there can be some rules about food, like if she doesn't eat teh good stuff too, she doesn't get teh fruit loops, etc. at the enxt meal. I know that can be hard, but I think once they are 3.5-4 they can get it.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:04 PM on May. 29, 2009

• whole grain flakes. with some splenda
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:29 AM on May. 30, 2009

• We buy Kashi cereals, Newman's own, and other organics (Greenwise if you have Publix grocery). For hot cereals we do oatmeal, cream of wheat, or grits (corn). The only sugars we use are brown sugar, REAL maple syrup, or honey. Health food stores have stevia and agave nectar that are great! It's really important for you to train them to like things made without high fructose corn syrup. Its the most horrible - ok, close to the most horrible - substance put into foods. MSG is the most horrible. Wean them from eating things like cream of wheat with white sugar to a better, less processed sugar over time IF THEY ARE USED TO EATING IT WITH WHITE SUGAR ALREADY. If not, just make it with something better from the beginning and let them develop a taste for it that way. Remember that you are their dietitian and nutritionist! Read all the labels and feed them what they really need.

GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:31 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Good for you GrowingMama, I don't even let any of the sugary stuff come into the house. The boys really love their oatmeal though, I usually add a bit of peanut butter and/or cinnamon to it. Recently started adding a few raisins, they like those too.
    My biggest problem is their father is the one that is fighting our better way of eating. lol We just recently moved out of my in-laws house...now we can eat what we want instead of what 'they' ate.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:26 AM on May. 30, 2009

• The boys have a bowl of cereal, piece of toast with choice of toppings, a piece of fruit and milk for breakfast (when they have cereal, that is lol)

Cheerios, Yogurt Burst Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios
    Kix, Honey Kix
    Lucky Charms
    Golden Grahams
    Frosted Mini Wheats
    Fruit Loops
    Coco Puffs
    Raisin Bran

They also love oatmeal, french toast, waffles, pancakes, pop tarts (MAYBE once a week), scrambled eggs and the special occasion donuts. rofl
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:36 AM on May. 30, 2009