His feelings get hurt so easy.. I need help!

My son (9months) is a very well behaved boy.. He is curious so of course we have to tell him 'no' and redirect him when he tries to touch things he's not supposed to (like cords and buttons on the radio..) When he stops trying to touch what we tell him not to.. we tell him 'good boy!' I think he associates 'good boy' with being in trouble because for the past few days he'll do something really good and I'll tell him he is a good boy and he'll put his head down, pout, and cry like his heart is breaking. I of course, at this point, pick him up and love on him and tell him I wasn't scolding him but praising him.
Anyone else have a similar problem? What should I do so I don't hurt his feelings? Is there a better way to scold/praise him?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 8:13 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I have to tell my 11 month old "no" I tell him "thank you" when he stops. Maybe that could help? Also, at this age redirection works better than scolding. Maybe just say something like "Babies aren't supposed to play with cords, but you can play with your blocks?" or whatever of his is handy. He'll figure out that "good boy" is a good thing soon enough, but I would definately find something else to say after "no."
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 8:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i learned from working at the Y for a long time that you try not to say "no" or "don't". rather than say those "bad words" they called it back then, we have to try and find a better way of saying it. for example: "Don't touch that Jimmy."
    "Cords aren't for playing Jimmy"
    "Don't run Jimmy."
    "Let's walk instead"

"No poking other kids"
    "Poking hurts Jimmy, let's stop"

I don't know, maybe that may help a little :-D
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 9:03 PM on May. 29, 2009

• 9 mo. is a little young for scolding. Redirection is your best bet. Don't get mad, just say "no whatever" and lets play with something else. At this age, scolding can very easily turn into a game (it happens before you know it). Praise is never a bad thing, so praise away...just try not to do it right after you've said no to something.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:11 PM on May. 29, 2009