Should I let my teenage son going camping?

I have a 15yo. For the most part, he is a good boy. My biggest complaint is he likes to pick on his brothers and he never has homework. He wants to go camping overnight with some friends from school. One we have known for 5 years. No adults are going. I told him I was worried about drinking and drugs. I told him I did not have one problem with getting a drug and alcohol test from CVS. I want him to have a good time, but I worry!! His dad, my dh, thinks it would be ok. I just don't know. Would you? Have you?

eluc

Asked by eluc at 8:29 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would let him go (course that's me)! It would be so much fun for him and letting him go now will show you if you can trust him later on. If you really are concerned with drugs and stuff get the test when he gets back.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:37 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Is he gonna be camping somewhere he can have a cell phone work? if so put your trust in him and if he fails then you made a mistake and so did'nt he. Just make sure he can have a phone where he will be, and you know where he will be to. Your not gonna know if you can trust him if you don't give him a chance. NO DRUGS, DRINKING, OR WOMEN(girls)
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:38 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i think I would be worried too, but maybe not completely close the subject. Do any of the kids have a cell phone for emergencies? Or can you let him takle your's (if you have one available)? I would definitely play 20 Q with him too, and insist on dropping him off, not letting a friend take him, so you know exactly where they are going to be at all times. And tell him you are going to stop by later to check on things, just to see if he will freak out or not, even if you dont plan on doing it, he will think you are going to. And let him think you are doing a drug test on him too, he should be to afraid to do anything that way even if it does come into play, hopefully he will turn t down. How well do you know these other kids? And their parents? I would maybe also talk to them to make sure you are all getting the same story as to where they will be, what time, what kinds of things are they doing...etc, etc...
    Anonymous

• As long as you think he is trustworthy and responsible enough to go then I would let him. If he messes up while he is camping, then I wouldn't let him go again until he turns 18.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:47 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't think I'd let him go. But, I was supposedly a "wonderful, honest, trustworthy teenager" and I know all the trouble I got into without my parents EVER finding out. I feel bad for my kids. I'm WAY overprotective.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 10:14 PM on May. 29, 2009

• How good is his judgement to deal with an emergency when an adult is inaccessible? That's what I would base my decision on. Also you might check and see if it's even legal for you to let him stay out the whole night without an adult.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:50 PM on May. 29, 2009

• it really depends on the kid and the situation. We spend summers in a coutry area, and the boys have always hiked and camped with cousins, uncles, etc. A couple of years ago, the cousinse 12 and 13 wanted to go - and we said yes, if the older cousin (17 very mature and handy in case of problems) goes. It was fine... but the key really is whether these are boys who are just content to hang out, be silly... or if they will be sneaky and make it into a party, and whether their are either easy to get to in case of problems or with someone who can really manage an emergency.

In any case, if you do let him go, make sure he knows how much you are trusting him to be responsible, and remind him that this is the kind of event that will shape the future - will you be able to trust him again, or will you be grounding him and not letting him go to such events for a long long time? Make him think it through!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 4:12 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I would let him go, he is growing up and as long as you aren't having any problems with him then it's time to trust him to make the right decisions.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:30 AM on May. 31, 2009