How to get rid of a musty smell in our comforter?

So my DH being the sweetheart that he is wanted to help out so he washed the comforter from our bed. I thought it was still just sitting in the laundry room until 3 days later when I found it, in the dryer, still damp! It has a horrible smell to it and I have no idea how to get rid of it. I tried washing it again but it still has a musty smell to it. I hate to get rid of it since it's pretty new. Any ideas?

spbeta

Asked by spbeta at 8:37 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• rewash it again. Add vinegar to the water along with your laundry soap. Now if you don't dry it in the dryer then add a bit more liquid fabric softner to your wash.
    Also if you don't have vinegar tyr 1/2 cup of febreeze to the wash. Hang dry outside helps too
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:55 PM on May. 29, 2009

• FEBREEZE is your friend!!! You can buy it in the form of Laundry Deodorizer--I add about 1/4 cap full (that's all you need) to the SOFTENER cycle...do a regular wash cycle, and make sure the FeBreeze is automatically added to the last part of the cycle. The stuff works like a charm! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Rewash it with a detergent with a fabric softener in it...
    and use some spray and wash all over it before washing it

dry it in the dryer really good

may take more than once.. but eventually the smell will go away.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:26 PM on May. 29, 2009

• To get rid of most odors in the laundry, including the mildewy smell from leaving wet things in the dryer for too long, you can soak the item in question for at least an hour in your washing machine with 2 cups of baking soda in addition to your regular detergent & fabric softener. For extra "oomph", you could also add a half cup of borax (found in the laundry aisle of most grocery stores) to the wash water. Be sure to dissolve all ingredients before adding garments. At the end of the hour or two, let the wash cycle finish and then dry as usual. If the smell is really bad, you may have to do this twice to get all of the odor out.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:30 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Febreeze laudndry odor remover works. I've used it for sour clothes before too. It ususally works in one wash.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:11 AM on May. 30, 2009

• USE ABOUT A HALF TO A CUP OF WHITE VINGAR..I DO THIS IN THE SUMMER FOR ALL MY TOWELS BECAUSE THEY SEEM TO GET THAT MUSTY SMELL..I LADY TOLD ME THIS AND I DIDNT BELIEVE HER UNTIL I TRIED IT..AND AFTER WASHING IT YOU DON'T EVEN SMRLL THE VINGAR.GOOD LUCK
    TAMMSTWINS

Answer by TAMMSTWINS at 9:04 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I use vinegar in my washing for bad smells (even works for cat pee!) It also works GREAT as a fabric softener (in the dispenser or ball) - no static or anything and NO smell!
    Aidans_Mom915

Answer by Aidans_Mom915 at 11:29 AM on May. 30, 2009