How is this fair??

A husband and wife have children. The children have an equally wonderful relationship with both of their parents.

Husband and wife can't get along and get divorced. Wife gets full custody, father gets to see his kids only one weeknight per week and every other weekend.

How is this fair? Do you think visitation guidelines need to be revised, so that the non-custodial parent (usually the father) can see his kids more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yeaaaaaah...and the poor widdle mother's paycheck er...I mean the kids' child support increases the LESS the father sees the children, so where exactly is the mother's incentive to be generous with the children's time?

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:16 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Depends on the situation, a lot of times divorced fathers are allowed more time
    Anonymous

• If he wanted more time with his kids, then he shouldn't have agreed to what was set up. He does have the option of asking for more time with his kids. He could also talk to his ex about getting them for more visits other than what is set up. I know parents that do this all the time. They just have to do what is best for the children.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:07 PM on May. 29, 2009

• cant the mother write a letter saying she wants him to have more cstody or something similar?
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 9:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I went through this being the stepmom and it is not easy or fun. The best thing to do is let your dh and his ex handle this with their kids.

Yes there will b times where you want to kill, but it is best to stay out of it. Or it will drive you crazy.
    If you are in a relationship that includes kids think it over are you willing to stick around and put up with the ups and downs? If not find you another man with no kids. Then again it depends on the man (like for me my man is a good man) that woman was a fool for letting him go. I am sure she realizes this now. Her loss. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• tyfry is correct. If the parents live in the same area, it is not uncommon for the judge to grant them joint custody.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:35 PM on May. 29, 2009

• We have friends in a similar situation. They rented a small apartment. The parents alternate weeks in the house with the kids. They split expenses down the middle, and never have custody issues.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:38 AM on May. 30, 2009