Why do moms almost always get custodial custody of the kids?

Why is this obvious bias tolerated in child custody hearings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Because the courts have been taught that all women are victims of men and they (Judges) must make up for thousands of years of male oppression by giving them whatever they want.

And it's the "tender years doctrine" run amok.

Oh, and fathers are just ATMs.

And they're all abusive, don'tcha know.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:12 AM on May. 30, 2009

• It is usually because the best place for a child is with the mother. Yes, there are cases where that is not true and then the father should have primary custody. I don't see it as a bias either.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:09 PM on May. 29, 2009

• This might sound dumb but maybe bc they carried the child for 9 months. (dumb...but true) my guess...:)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:10 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Some judges have traditional values that mother knows best so that is why it seems to go that way. I completely disagree with it. I think that the person(s) fit to raise the child should be awarded custody. It is a bad deal that fathers are seen as not fit when they are in some cases.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 9:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Because traditionally, women as caretakers, and have always been considered to have bonded more closely with the children. Is that ALWAYS the case? No. Is it OFTEN the case? I think so, to a degree.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:18 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Because man can't take care of the kids unless they have to! LOL
    Anonymous

• Carrying a child for 9 months does not make you a mother. My husband has primary custody of his children, the biological mother is a drug user and has been to rehab numerous times only to relapse. I agree with you OP even in our situation the court tends to be very lenient . Biological mom made up some lame excuse about not being able to work due to a foot injury at there child support hearing not to long ago and they were very lenient, and not only did they not get her for contempt for not paying any child support since 2005, but capped it at 4,000 past due child support and lowered it to $50 a month. She then had the nerve to ask the judge “what should I do about MV trying to suspend my license and the judge looked at her kind of crazy and said , “pay your child support!” I guess MV was serious because she ended up paying her child support the following month in the amount of $1,000 dollars. Funny, how she came-
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:37 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Cont. up with that amount after saying that she could not work due to a foot injury. Sad, but true men don't get enough credit and more men should have primary custody of their children in these types of situations.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:40 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Because in MOST NOT ALL circumstances, a child is more closely bonded to the mother and mothers are usually known to be the caregivers to their children. I also agree that since the mother did in fact carry the child for 9 months, that she should obviously get first chance to have custody of the child. Yes there are bad mothers out there and in cases like that, of course the father or whatever other person should get custody. But I do believe that the mother of the child should be awarded custody unless there is a reason why someone else would be a better parent or guardian to the child. I would be pretty pissed if I carried my baby for 9 months, and the judge gave custody to my fiance over me just for the hell of it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• When my first husband and I got a divorce they asked questions like who gives her a bath? who puts her to bed? who fixes her meals? I did. Now the fact that I did these things and not him does not automatically make him a bad father, but it does show that her needs were all taken care of by me, thats what she was used to. Parents and children bond a lot during those times and its generally the mother that does them.

I do however also agree that the mother is not always the best option. It took my brother a year to get custody of his son over the mother who was constantly on drugs and used to hide them in the battery case of the baby swing! Thank god she lost all 3 of her kids in the end. Of course I'm originally from Indiana which is well known as a "mother state".
    Lovejoy0303

Answer by Lovejoy0303 at 10:06 PM on May. 29, 2009